Potty training my puppy-help with getting outside please!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

Potty training my puppy-help with getting outside please!

Post by sez88 »

Hi,
So I taught my puppy to go to the toilet on paper-I know, I know :roll:
I did this because we were having to go to work and he couldnt hold himself because he had worms and diarrhea.
Now the diarrhea has cleared up he is pooing near but not on the paper.
Anyway whats done is done and I need to retrain him to go outside.

I'm doing the whole putting the paper outside thing but no luck so far. He just goes when we come back in, so Im gonna have to stay outside longer (I gave up this morning as it was -1C outside but I will stick it out next time)

the prob is though that when I do try to take him outside he doesnt want his lead put on. He will run away bite the lead etc. I have managed to get it on a few times by putting treats on the floor to distract him while I put it on. Is this ok?
Would it be better to get a harness so its easier to get it on?

Once the lead is on he is fine, just a pain to get it on in time to get him out before he goes potty inside.

Any ideas?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Spend a few days teaching him to have his lead on-treat-lead off-treat in every room in the house, so that he is completely happy to have his lead put on no matter where he is and what else is going on.

How old is he and what breed/s is he?

Go out with him, taking your coat over your arm if necessary (come on now :D minus one isn't that cold, lol) so you can put it on and be more comfortable while he potters and finds a nice place to 'go'.

Take him in, leave lead on, count to five, take him out for the 'second barrel'.

Consider creating a sheltered area outside for him to potty in comfort. It can make such a difference.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I know winter is rough, but it was 13F here in NY (that's -10C) this morning and even though Murph had to wait a few minutes for me to get all my gear on, we went out there for 30 mins anyway. On the plus side, we got a lot of snow this weekend so he had a BALL jumping in and out of it after he was done pottying and was nice and tired when we got home. :D

My point is, you can do it. I'm from sunny California and now I'm dealing with NY winters with a dog and no back yard. So if I can do it anyone can. Good luck! :wink:
sez88

Post by sez88 »

We kept trying and he has done 2 wees outside today, no poos as yet but all is not lost.
He have made the garden more secure (blocking off the top level where there are only hedges at the back with a railway track behind them) so I am happy to let him out without a lead (im still out with him though) and we will start working on getting the lead on and off during the day around the house
He is just over 9 weeks now and having his 2nd injection on the 30th.
I put the paper just outside the door in a little roofed area and that seemed to work.
He is asleep at the moment but we will try again as soon as he wakes up.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

9 weeks old! Aw... please post a photo in the photo thread when you can! :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Never mind, I just saw the one you posted last week. Lovely lovely dog. :)
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Yeah he is lovely...hard work, but lovely!

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)