introducing a boyfriend to my dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

montysmom

introducing a boyfriend to my dog

Post by montysmom »

Hello,
This is my first post and I am looking for advice on introducing my 2 year-old Corgi to my new boyfriend. I got him when I was with my ex and for the past 7 months he has been my buddy and gotten me through some tough times but in the process I let him get away with some bad habits.

He currently sleeps in my bed and while I love the cuddles I know this is going to be a problem when I want to have someone else in there too. What is the best way to transition him to another sleeping situation? (I know the hardest part will be getting myself over any guilt:-).

Also, my boyfriend is coming to my house for the first time this weekend. What is the best way to introduce him so that there is a positive association with this newcomer?

Thank you for any and all advice!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Introduce him the same way you would if it was just your brother, uncle, father, or minister, and not your boyfriend.

In other words, have the dog wait in another room, especially if he is not usually good at greeting guests at the door. Welcome your guest inside, help him get comfortable, etc. Take him into the sitting room, have him sit down, then bring out your dog. If you aren't sure how he will react to your guest, you could even bring him out on leash, and let him approach your guest slowly, and sniff his shoes, his ankles, his pant legs, etc. If all is going well at this point, your guest could very slowly and gently extend a hand for the dog to smell. If the dog is willing to be touched/petted, the dog will indicate by continuing to nudge the hand and show interest in your guest, wagging his tail enthusiastically, hind end and all. If your dog shows any signs of apprehension or nervousness, no matter how slight, take him out of the room until he calms down.

Another thing we do when we have men come over that my dogs have never met before, is to give them a treat to offer to the dogs. Once our guests are seated and made comfortable, our dogs might go smell them some more, getting acquainted. Once the dogs are satisfied and no longer feel the guest is a "complete stranger," they are usually content to come lay at our feet and behave for the rest of the visit. If they *really* take a liking to our guest, they might get up and go stand or sit next to the guest, or even just rest their heads on his lap-- this is an invitation for the guest to pet them.
MaiasMom

Re: introducing a boyfriend to my dog

Post by MaiasMom »

I would have them greet outside of the house a few times, maybe to the dog park for a fun time with this man, show the dog this guy is ok and fun to be around. remember this man is coming into the dogs space. Just like when you are going to introduce one new dog to another, do it in a neutral place, let the dog get to know and like the new man in your life. Maybe short visits after that until they learn to know each other. Let the man if you trust him take the dog for walks, feed it treats. Make this man attractive to the dog.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Nettle

Re: introducing a boyfriend to my dog

Post by Nettle »

Yes, we meet new friends on walks and then take them home. Soon new friend is greeted with joy because this is a walking friend - the best!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS