Pup wont leave my side at all, is this normal?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sez88

Pup wont leave my side at all, is this normal?

Post by sez88 »

Hi everyone,
Ive just joined the forum, I picked up my collie cross puppy on Saturday.
He slept right through his first night and then yesterday he was sick...worms. He had sickness and diarrhea and whined etc from 3am onwards. We have been to the vet and he is fine now. But he wont leave me alone. He lies by my feet and follows me if I move anywhere.
He doesnt do this at all with my bf- in fact he wont even come to him, and not for lack of trying!!

If I try and do anything with him he becomes over excited, mouths me and jumps up. atm im trying: turning around and crossing my arms when he jumps up, moving when he sits next to me, leaving the room to do things around the house and shutting door behind me. He just waits for me or comes over to me again. We have a ticking clock and a warm up pad for him tonight to try and help him relax.

I know he is only young and is settling in but im worried he is becoming too attached to me. What do you think?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh yep, totally normal!

Hes had all his LIFE with constant company of his littermates, if not his mum as well.

Suddenly theres just him.. and you two strange two legged jobs..and you guys keep vanishing on him!

So yes, hes going to want to stick with you!

Make a point of inviting him along sometimes, and not at others, like a game of 'Simon says'... if 'Simon' hasnt said .... then just ignore him.

You must must must balance this out though with plenty of attention because otherwise its not fair.... and it wont work.

Try also giving him things to do, that mean he has to stay where he is. Instead of forcing the issue by shutting a door... try giving him a raw bone so big he CANT bring it with him... so its his choice if he stays...and if he follows you arent going to give him attention... so its more rewarding to stay.

With anything you teach him... if he learns it through his 'choice' (even if you have set this up so the choice you want him to make is the only logical, rewarding, easy one to make!), he will learn it so much faster and better than trying to teach him any other way (ie by force).
sez88

Post by sez88 »

Thanks, Ill try that. He cant have food atm apart from his medicated stuff because of his sickness but will try as soon as he can (3days)

Also when we do have to leave him on his ownwhat should we do...