Can dominance aggreession be corrected keeping children safe

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Mattie wrote: It is a lot easier to teach boys than to teach men, boys are not set in their ways like men are and if handled right boys are willing to learn, men arn't. :lol:
I'm sure you're right (I've only had girls) - you're right about men being stuck in their ways. Stubborn and willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Pam
zekesmom

Post by zekesmom »

I know it's not exactly the same, but my GR mix once growled and snapped at a neighbors boy and on another occassion, growled at my nephew. Well, my family got all in an uproar about how we couldn't have this dog near my son (newborn at the time). Now that I'm reading all this while trying to raise Zeke, I realize that the timing was in that 18 month range. Well, my nephew came crawling around a corner on hands and knees and surprised our dog. That's all. My family had me in tears thinking I had to find a new home for Bailey (who we had rescued). Fast forward 6 years later and Bailey has never bitten anyone. It DID take me a long time to regain trust, though. At the time, my vet told me that, even though his dog was a great dog, you should NEVER trust a dog alone with children.

Bottom line - I totally understand your mother bear instinct to protect your kids. When we got Zeke (4 months now), I was very confused by the dominance based stuff. It had us questioning everything. Darn my sis for recommending that junk. I stumbled across this website and it has turned things around completely. I wish everyone could see the difference it made in this puppy. If you can, have your kids watch one of Victoria's shows. It makes a difference when you see examples of your dogs behavior on her shows and how she works with owners.

Best wishes.
surviving puppyhood