Old Dog, New Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nutmeg

Old Dog, New Dog

Post by nutmeg »

I have had a Cairn Terrier for 5 years. I just recently adopted a Yorkie at 6months. I'm crate training the Yorkie and that is working out fine with regards to housebreaking. However, I'm trying to give my Cairn his space so that the Yorkie doesn't drive him crazy. The Yorkie, however, is filled with puppy energy and when I let her out of the crate, she goes wild. I'm am training "wait" and "sit" and "stay" with treats. She lunges at her food and she comes out of the crate like Secretariat in the 3rd! This morning, she nipped at my Cairn. I put her in a time out, but she never seems to calm down.

My question is, even though I take her out of the crate at intervals, let her play with the Cairn, give her training, cuddle her for a time and groom her.... is it time for her to come out of the crate and have a larger space to maneuver in. Should I gate her off from my Cairn in two separate rooms, or with that not be good?

Anyone with advice will be appreciated. I don't want my Cairn to be jealous and and want to give the Yorkie her love and attention as well. AND, I wonder when she will calm down a little.

Thanks for the help with Waffles and Nutmeg!

j.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

The older dog will teach the younger one boundries. So long as the bigger one is not grabbing you pup by the neck and shaking it. I always added a pup with an older dog, for a couple reasons, the older trained dog was a teacher by example, Like going outside to potty or sitting for a treat. Clipping the pups leash to the older dog to teach it how to walk on leash.

You might have a bit of jealousy from the older dog but with giving it attention that should take care of it. The older dog hopefully understands that this is a baby and tolerate it to a point. Most do. Do be watchful during play times and remove baby, not older dog if the play becomes to rough. Puppy's don't know boundries so the older dog will teach them.

Maia and Kai still after 2 years are teaching their son boundrys. Tre steps to far over the line, Kai, his father will come out from where ever he is and give him what for. Kai is the peace maker in the posse. He is the one that taught his son how to be a good dog. Most of the time it is just a "pay attention nip to the nose" sometimes he gets his son down on the floor which is funny since Tre is 72 pounds and Kai is 47 pounds.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
nutmeg

Post by nutmeg »

thanks for your response! I'm feeling desperate, but I know I have to be patient. My younger is a Yorkie, and she has snarled and gone after the older dog, who is a Cairn. The Cairn...Waffles is his name....is being very patient and not attacking back., but I'm so angry at the new pup for doing that. I know that Waffles is a little depressed about her presence. He's acting forelorned and it makes me worried. Please tell me this will pass. I'm giving Waffles lots of attention and trying to make things the same for him. AND, I'm trying to give her attention -- It's knocking me out!! lol
I'm hoping she will calm down after she is spayed. Is that the case?

Thanks for your help. I love my pups and want to do what's best for both of them.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

My 15 yr old mini schnauzer had his nose out of joint for the first couple weeks we had Maia but after that he found the benefit of her being around, PLAYING and extra high value treats. I would take just him on walks without her at least once a day alone and then both of them together. He got lots of treats when she was around to show him that she was a good thing to have around. I would make sure that good things happen for the older dog when the pup is around.

You just have to make sure that the pup does not really push the older one since a Carin will grab it's prey by the neck and shake it. Give the pup boundries for playing with the older dog. Time outs behind a gate or in the create. Like I said my older two are still educating their son after 2 years. Tre gets a bit much for them and they slam him down. No worries as he out weighs them by at least 20 pounds. They will get him in the yard, herd him up and come at him from each side and slam him. or they get at each end and give him what for. Good parents.

If they squabble over a toy or something I just take it away from all of them. They get the message.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

nutmeg wrote:thanks for your response! I'm feeling desperate, but I know I have to be patient. My younger is a Yorkie, and she has snarled and gone after the older dog, who is a Cairn. The Cairn...Waffles is his name....is being very patient and not attacking back., but I'm so angry at the new pup for doing that. I know that Waffles is a little depressed about her presence. He's acting forelorned and it makes me worried. Please tell me this will pass. I'm giving Waffles lots of attention and trying to make things the same for him. AND, I'm trying to give her attention -- It's knocking me out!! lol
I'm hoping she will calm down after she is spayed. Is that the case?

Thanks for your help. I love my pups and want to do what's best for both of them.

why are you angry with your new pup? He is 6 months old and a terrier, this is what he does, that doesn't mean it is acceptable and as he still has puppy licence it is up to you to set the boundaries for your pup and give Waffles peace time.

It is your house, you set the rules and boundaries and not let your pup have a free for all with Waffles, Waffles won't start to correct him yet. You need to set the boundaries of what you expect from your pup. Your pup also needs an afternoon snooze just like human babies need, for this crate your pup, this will also give Waffles peace and quiet.

Just read your first post, how much time is your pup spending in his crate? What are you feeding him? Many foods have a lot of additives and can make dogs hyper. How much exercise is your pup getting? The general rule is 5 minutes for every month of their age, at 6 months old he can have 30 minutes exercise.

From my experience I have found that bitches will correct a pup much earlier than a dog, dogs often let pups do what they like no matter what it takes out of them. When Tilly came at 20 weeks old it was my bitches that checked her, she could walk all over my dogs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have to agree with Mattie here, why are you angry at a puppy for behaving like a puppy?

If you don't like the fact that Waffles is not enjoying a pup being in the house, and seems a bit depressed or worried, this is not the puppies fault! This is after all YOUR choice to get a puppy... not his, and not hers either.

Adult male dogs often are not confident with pups, especially ***** pups - its likely as she grows up she will become the 'boss', above him and you really do have to accept that as attempting to make things even and equal will not work - it will make life worse for him!

Time outs can be useful, if they are for a few seconds, and are consistently repeated until you achieve the result you want.

If your pup is spending too much time in a crate amusing herself though then the time outs are not going to be effective because ANY interaction, even if it is you repeatedly putting her out of the room for ten seconds, is more fun than being crated and bored.

Get her toys she can amuse herself with when she is out of the crate. Get him some as well - Kongs are great as are Nina Ottoson dog puzzles (you will need to supervise). Make the time they spend together constructive and useful, not a free for all where she uses HIM as a toy!

He is to some degree, going to have to 'grow a pair' and stand up for himself, obviously if he is terrified and screaming and running away from her I wouldnt advise this but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

As much as you can, supervise and make sure he has plenty of time doing stuff with you, away from her (actually doing stuff, not just sitting around though!). But, sometimes, let them play. If she bites him, and she will.... he will have to deal with it. He does have the ability to do this. he can walk away, he can tell her off! When he does either, THEN you back that up with a time out, by distracting her with something else, rewarding him for communicating with her (he may well be worried that if he tells her off you will tell HIM off and you must not do that!).

There is no way of doing this without him finding things a little stressful - but you made the choice to put him through that when you bought a puppy, you cannot blame her for this!
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I agree with Mattie on this, being angry is a waste of time and energy, your dogs are being dogs. The older one while being patient will get to the end of it and give the younger one a lesson. So long as no blood is drawn, leave them be. This is how dogs in the wild or most animals in the wild teach their young how to behave. I am not a big advocate of using the crate as punishment. In my opinion and 60 years of having dogs, the crate should be a place of security, a place that they can go to get away from stressors. The crate is a good place for over night containment of dogs not yet potty trained, when your going to be gone and they need to be confined.

If you use the create for both punishment and containment, they can get confused and fearful of the crate, they should want to go willingly into it. Relax a little and things should work themselves out.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

MaiasMom wrote:I agree with Mattie on this, being angry is a waste of time and energy, your dogs are being dogs. The older one while being patient will get to the end of it and give the younger one a lesson. So long as no blood is drawn, leave them be.

I used to think it was better not to interfer with the way a dog deals with a pup until a friend got a pup, she had an older dog and let the pup do what she wanted. This older dog didn't know how to cope with the pup and she jumped all over him. As she got bigger, she was a Lab cross, she continued to jump on him and eventually damaged his back. Even though he was in pain he still wouldn't stop the pup.

It cost my friend a lot of money for treatment for her dog's back, he never became pain free, in fact, he was often in considerable pain with his back. She never forgave herself, if she had stepped in and stopped the pup from jumping over him he wouldn't have damaged his back. She done what many people say, leave the dogs to sort it out, this dog didn't and was eventually pts because of his back.

Since this happened, I would never allow a pup to do this to a dog, a ***** is more likely to stop the pup than a dog is. If we take on a pup when we already have a dog, we owe it to the dog to keep them safe, my friend didn't and it was her dog that suffered.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Mattie and I agree on somethings and not others, such is life and I hear her concerns, bottom line is keep both of them safe and foster a sense of family in them.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I may have given the wrong idea, I don't mean that the puppy shouldn't play with the other dog, just that the owner sets the boundaries on how far the pup should go. They need to play, but they also need boundaries on how far they can go.

Jumping on another dog's back when small won't do any damage, as they grow, and especially pups that are going to be big dogs, the adult dog will need some protection.