dog chasing bikes, & getting excited when the front door

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leigh

dog chasing bikes, & getting excited when the front door

Post by leigh »

my 4 yo male jack russel Ted, goes nutty over bikes riding past our fence, and the mail man on his scooter. He runs up and down the fence barking. When we're out walking, if a bike rides past, sometimes he'll ignore it, other times he'll give a little growl and get excited - and I'll distract him with my voice, or turn and walk in the opposite direction.

Any ideas as to how I can change this behaviour?

Another question, both Ted and my 1 yo female pom x jack russel go nutty when the front door is opened. Even if noone is at the front door and we are going to check the mail, as soon as they hear the door open they are up and running and barking.

We are in the middle or training both dogs not to jump on us when we get home, and visitors when they arrive - using the folding arms, turning away and ignoring the dog method, which seems to be working SLOWLY.

However, if someone is at the front door knocking, then they are at the door before we can be, barking madly, and trying to jump all over whoever is there.

I know I could use a lead to put on the dogs when people come to the door - but then Ted gets so excited thinking that we're going for a walk, and I have a new problem on my hands all together!

They really are well behaved dogs, but VERY excitable, possibly a little too much!

ANY tips are welcome, I am willing to try anything and everything that is a correct humane method (ie one that Victoria would approve of!)

thanks!
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

If you check out Victoria's training schools in the US, they use clicker training. A clicker is a little plastic noise maker and you can get them at most pet shops, even here in Australia. They are great for marking things that happen really briefly, like that moment of silence before barking at the door.

For dogs who go crazy when someone knocks on the door, you can just knock on the door, click the clicker BEFORE they bark and toss a yummy treat. Repeat until they really get it - door knocks, silence is rewarded.

Have someone help so you can do this in a variety of every day situations. You sit on the couch reading a magazine, someone knocks the door, you don't even get up - just click the silence and toss a treat.

As for the bike and fence thing, I just wondered, are you in Hobart? (I wondered from your other post, as we have a lot of Sudanese here) I run a class for dogs with bike issues over summer, it has just started.

We basically do the same thing as the door knocking, mark and reinforce the behaviour we want to see more of. Of course, it's a bit more complicated when you're not in a controlled environment like your home.
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com
leigh

Post by leigh »

thanks for that advice Aidan! I have just ordered a clicker online actually, seconds before I read your post! And I will certainly try and do that , I've seen Victoria use the clicker on her show a few weeks ago and was intrigued.

No, im in SA, unfortunately otherwise I could have joined your class!!

I actually had a little breakthrough with Ted tonite - I was doing treat training in the kitchen with he and Bella - the only thing he can do is "shake" - he has always refused to drop unless the treat us under his nose and brought to the floor. Tonite I trained him without Bella (ms smarty pants who can do everything) and he's SLOWLY getting the hang of 'drop' with hand signal and a treat (but not right under his nose) - he's such a gentle boy, he slowly and delicately brings his paws out until he's in the drop position and rewarded (unlike Ms Bella who pretty much throws herself on the ground and looks at me smiling)....... he doesn't seem to be as silly as we thought he was! Patience, persistance and separated training should wotk I think!

anyhow, thanks for your tips, I'll definitely be trying that once I get a clicker! (I have looked in pet stores in SA and haven't ever seen them, so will have to wait for the online stores!)
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

The Siberian Husky and Malamute Club in SA use clicker, I'm pretty sure.

If you learn to "shape" you will have that drop (down for those reading from across the ponds) in a few sessions.

One of the problems with luring the drop with food is that you have to fade the lure. Not such a big deal, just be aware of it. Hide the food in your hand at first. Then lure with your hand as IF you have food in it, but you don't. Take the food from your pocket to reward in position.

Then start cutting your lure short. It's kind of like saying "supercalifragilistic", then "supercalifragilis" then "supercalifragil" etc etc until you get to "sup" (or in this case, the verbal cue to "Drop")
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com