Mia - new beginnings

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Salistra

Mia - new beginnings

Post by Salistra »

When we first got Mia, we had alot of issues with her. I found good advice on this forum. So I wanted to thank everyone who gave input on Mia and wanted to give you all an update.

Mia is now 9 months old now. We have had her for almost 5 months now.

As you may recall the issues we had with her were:

Potty Training
Fear of people (especially men)

Potty training was extremely slow but I am happy to report, the accidents are few and far between. We still seem to have a little problem with her when it is raining out but not a big problem as Mia is very food motivated. She knows she will get a reward if she goes outside for us so that is a big help.

She now tells us when she needs to go out. She taps my leg with her paw (or nose) and I say to her "what?" and if she needs to go out, she will sit and hold her paw up for me. I then ask her "you wanna go outside?" and then she runs to the door wagging her tail.

Now about the fear issues:

If you met Mia today, you would never guess she had any fear issues. She is one ballsy little girl! She still barks (she even barks at us when we come home) but it's like a friendly bark if you can picture that one lol.

Mia & Men: hmmm - she is still a little cautious around men but for the most part, she warms up to them really fast now. We have discovered, she is non-reactive completely, if one of us is holding her. I think it has alot to do with size and things seem more normal when she is up higher.

Now that we have worked on these issues and have had success with Mia, we have scheduled her to be spayed. A very much calmer dog and surprisingly (to me), the most loveable dog who only wants to please you.

Mia goes for laser spaying on September 17th.

Special thanks to Emmabeth and everyone else who gave me their valuable input and advice.

Salistra
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Brilliant news, well done :D and thank you for the feedback - it's so good to get feedback.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Thank you Nettle. You and Emma gave really good advice towards Mia. I believe it was you who advised to hold off on the spaying which I am so glad I did.

I feel very comfortable with getting her spayed now. :-)

Salistra
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Uh, not to sound stupid, but I will, anyway...what's laser spaying?
Chessie: fawn 9-year-old Chi
Merle: wolf sable 6-year-old Chi
Nova: long-haired Red 3-year-old Chi
Cocoa: chocolate 3-year-old Chi
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I think it just uses a laser instead of a scalpel--less blood since the laser caulderizes (sp?) the vessels and what not while you're going and recovery time is quicker. At least that's what I THINK, don't know for sure since...
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

grr didn't mean to hit submit right then.

we didn't do it the laser way.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Brilliant news, well done to you for putting in the work!

It is excellent to get feedback so thanks for coming back to let us know and do stick around and keep us updated!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Laser spaying just removes the ovaries and leaves the uterus. Therefore you will need to be vigilant for signs of uterine infections through her life.

Laser is a lot less traumatic for the dog and heals faster. It isn't popular in the UK yet for the above reasons, but I expect it soon will be. Watching out for infections is simple dog management in any case.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS