How do I get my dog to sit when rewarding him with a treat

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Georgia

How do I get my dog to sit when rewarding him with a treat

Post by Georgia »

Hi all

My pomeranian was never taught how to sit when being rewarded with a treat and I have been unable to teach him how. In fact, my pomeranian will often run around in circles barking. Can anyone provide assistance? Thank you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Have Pom on lead.

Stand in front with titbit in your hand, keeping your body posture upright. Many people bend over a small dog and it intimidates them so they bark and jump about.

Lower hand to dog's nose and then raise to its forehead, keeping it from jumping up with the lead. As its eyes follow the titbit hand, move the hand back so the dog has to lean its head back and then it has to sit to avoid overbalancing. Reward at once and say 'sit'. Don't use the word until you have the action because the dog does not yet associate one with the other.

If you are so tall that you can't reach the dog when standing upright, bend your knees but stay with an upright back.

Soon the dog will associate the word with the action, and then you will get the action after the word - then you have to train this in lots of different places, in this room and that, in the yard, out on walks etc.

Once that is accomplished - the dog will sit for a treat. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Georgia

Post by Georgia »

Hi

Thank you so much for your assistance. I will definitely give that a try. Sincerest and Kindest regards
MsPauly

Post by MsPauly »

AH!!!!! Maybe that is why my pom jumps up and barks when I give her the stay command. I never realized I should not be bending over her.

She's been really good about learning the sit command. But the stay part of it is NOT working.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Upright stance encourages staying put - bending stance/hard eye contact threatens - crouching with arms wide and face turned away encourages the dog to come to you. :)

Dogs are big on body language.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Georgia

Post by Georgia »

Hi

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Sincerely