HELP 8 month old Terrier Mix

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Drueann

HELP 8 month old Terrier Mix

Post by Drueann »

I need some suggestions, I have a somewhat unique situation. I work day shift and my husband works night shift, so when he is coming home to go to bed our new adopted terrier mix is ready to play, if we put her in her crate she just cries and cries and barks and he's getting no sleep which is making him crabby and causing tension. In the mornings I wake her up at my usual time and the entire morning I throw a ball around and she chases it hoping this will tire her out, but its not working. I just don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wonder how you planned to manage this before you got her? I'm sure you didn't expect her to be alone all day as well as all night.

How old is she? If adult, a long walk before you leave, and then leaving her with her breakfast and a filled Kong should last a while, then husband takes her out when he gets up (I've worked shifts so I know how it is trying to sleep during the day) and you train or play with her again when you get home.

Other than that or if she is very young, doggie daycare is what she needs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sorry, just read the age in your title. 8 months old needs a lot of training and interaction. I have a 9 month old here :)

Drueann

Post by Drueann »

Thank you for your reply,

I was hoping by this time she would be fully potty trained but she is not, and that is why I won't leave her just running around the house during the day. I think once she gets that down pat then everything will be ok, I just need to figure something out in the mean time. I also have a 5 year old puppy mill rescue who is great and able to be left to roam the house.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

She would benefit a lot from your husband giving her a half hour of playtime before he goes to bed.

However, an 8-month-old puppy who isn't potty trained yet, is not going to easily "get it" if she's alone all day, and then alone all night. Can someone come home during the day at lunch time, or can you get a good dogsitter to come by, to give her some exercise and socialization, and take her outside to potty--and reward that behavior?

How much time does she have with you in the morning? How much time with hubby in the evening? She needs interaction, physical and mental stimulation, and a chance to learn what behaviors are okay inside the house and which behaviors need to be taken outside.

Lis
Drueann

Post by Drueann »

Oh she gets plenty of interaction, she's with me for about 2 hours in the morning, him all day and both of us for about 5 hours at night and he can get up and let her out during the day, the problem is trying to get her settled down once I leave in the morning, and I spend the entire time I am getting ready in the morning throwing a ball around for her to chase after she has eaten.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She isn't with him all day if he's sleeping.

You can't potty-train a puppy if no-one is there to supervise. How far on the road to being clean is she? Is she having occasional indoor messes, puddles or both, is she regularly emptying herself in the house, how long is she left without outside access? What method have you used to house-train her?

Puppies are as much work as toddlers. If you and husband are not able through your work commitments to train the puppy, you need someone else to do it - it doesn't just happen.

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just to add - how I wish we had edit facility! instead of throwing a ball and getting her excited before you leave, do some calm interactive training after her morning walk, to lower her agitation hormones and prepare her for sleep. Then leave her with her food but so that she has to work to get it, such as in a Kong.

To reiterate:

Walk her
Calm training
Leave with food

Hyping a dog up with lively play before you leave is like getting a toddler excited and running about, and then expecting it to go to bed and sleep - the mothers here will tell you all about that! :)

Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I also want to chime in here that you might want to avoid playing fetch right after she's eaten to avoid bloat.
Drueann

Post by Drueann »

I never thought of it that way, that makes alot of sense. Thanks so much.
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

Also, it is important for you and your husband to spend some time walking both of your dogs outside and interacting with each other and new sights and smells. It helps strengthen the bond among all members of your family, and it gives more mental exercise and a release from boredom. Dogs are naturally curious about the world outside of their familiar home environment and they want to investigate the signs of other animals and people who are "out there". It is also a great environment for training where there are occasionally some unexpected distractions, and socialization with other people and animals. :)