Wetting the floor

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MikeS

Wetting the floor

Post by MikeS »

Hi alll. My name is Mike and I am new here.
My Weim, 8 months old still wets the floor at nite....every nite. Could someone pleeez help me... Thanks.
Mike
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hi,

We need a bit more information - what time is your pups last meal, what time is his last trip outside to the loo.. ditto for breakfast and first trip out in the morning.

Is he leaving big puddles or is he cocking his leg up against stuff in the house.

When you take him outside, do you take him out there and wait whilst he goes and reward him for doing it... or do you let him outside unaccompanied?
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

emmabeth wrote:Hi,

We need a bit more information - what time is your pups last meal, what time is his last trip outside to the loo.. ditto for breakfast and first trip out in the morning. Last meal is by 4PM...Drink is also taken away at that time. Last trip- is about 9PM
Is he leaving big puddles or is he cocking his leg up against stuff in the house.She..is leaving a large puddle. This we find in the morning ... 5AM

When you take him outside, do you take him out there and wait whilst he goes and reward him for doing it... or do you let him outside unaccompanied?
She is always on leash and we wait till she voids...No, I do not always reward. THANKS Emmabeth, Mike
Mike
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

4pm, isn't that a little early to be taking up water?
gufyduck

Post by gufyduck »

Is she crated overnight or not? Also, for what it is worth, my puppy (5 months) still needs to be taken out between 3-4 in the morning, although we do not with hold water.

Often what I will do is if I wake up in the middle of the night, I will wake puppy up to go outside, whether he wants it or not. This way I'm getting up on my time, not his.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ok,

I would keep the last meal at the time it is at... I would not withhold water though, this tends to encourage gulping down water when it IS available which then leads to a dog who is bursting to go a few hours later.

Im really not keen on withholding water at all, I think it is an animals basic right to have free access to water at all times and I would never ever recommend anyone took water away (and I discussed this with a vet recently and she could think of only a few situations where a vet would withhold water, and those are serious medical conditions!).

Sooo... leave water down all the time. Stick with the meal times but take her out a bit more frequently for the time being, if you can, make the last trip out at about 10pm or later if possible. You can gradually bring the last toilet trip earlier but for now the key thing is to get her out of the habit of toiletting during the night.

Reward her for going to the toilet really well - this helps to motivate her to hang on and wait for you to be there to reward her for it.

The other thing to consider again as a temporary measure, is where she sleeps.

If you have taught her by ignoring her crying, that making a sound once you have gone to bed will be ignored she might WELL have learned there is no point in asking to go outside at that time... so she just does it on the floor.

If you move where she sleeps to a room wher eyou can hear her start to move about when she wakes and needs to go, you can take her outside immediately so she doesnt do it in the house.

Anyway the first stage is to prevent her from having to go in the house - then teach her to wait and extend the time she can wait for.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Thanks Emmabeth.....Mike
Mike
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Hi Mike

We had same problem. What we did and it worked really well is:

In the evening: Instead of water, we put ice cubes in her dish. She was still able to quench her thirst by licking the ice cubes and it prevented her from drinking too much to where she had to go during the night.

Hope this helps
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Salistra wrote:Hi Mike

We had same problem. What we did and it worked really well is:

In the evening: Instead of water, we put ice cubes in her dish. She was still able to quench her thirst by licking the ice cubes and it prevented her from drinking too much to where she had to go during the night.

Hope this helps
:D Interesting.... My Weim loves ice cubes ..and has recognized that the opening of the freezer door could mean a treat. Thanks !!
Mike