now she is walking nice but....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

globe

now she is walking nice but....

Post by globe »

been following the losse lead walking sticky and i have to say i am thoroughly impressed with how it has worked wonders with my dog.

The only issue i find now is that when she stops to have a sniff (unasked or promoted) she is very hard to get going again until she is done.

it is funny as when she used to pull out in front this was never an issue. she'd have a sniff but carry on walking.

any suggestions as to how i overcome this issue ?

thanks
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

How much sniffing do you let her do? And what do you mean by "unasked or promoted"? What I usually do with my dog is give him 10 mins at the beginning of the walk to do what he's gotta do, sniff around, do his business, etc. Then after that it's MY turn for a good brisk walk with no stopping for sniffs. When we're about 10 mins away from home, then he gets his turn again, sniffing as much as he wants.

If you keep her close to you and far enough away from what she wants to sniff, you can have your turn in the middle of the walk to go without stopping for sniffs. I use a verbal cue like "Ready" or "Let's go" and just start walking briskly when it's time to stop sniffing, or if it's not time to dawdle around yet.