training to be in an outside kennel!!!!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sar-83

training to be in an outside kennel!!!!!

Post by sar-83 »

I have a year old English Springer. He is an inside dog. I am trying to get him to stay in a 6x12 kennel outside. There is a dog house, water, and tarp over the kennel. I have played with him inside the kennel, let him walk to and from the kennel with the door open, and have given him treats to show that it is ok. But, as soon as I walk back in the house he starts to bark. I also don't think he is drinking the water. I usually leave him out there for a half hour and then go out and play with him. He will drink then and is calm again. But again as soon as I leave him alone it is back to the barking.

I guess my question is, how do I get him to enjoy being in the outside kennel? I'd sooner he be outside then inside during the day while I am at work.

Also, I have tried haveing him on a line outside and it is the same thing. Its like he is afraid of being alone.

PLEASE HELP :?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

He doesnt want to be on his own, hes a gregarious social creature like yourself and enjoys spending time with other living creatures (usually dogs or people).

Unlike you though... when he is alone he hasnt got tv, work, books, magazines, housework, cooking, planning future events, bills, the internet, computer games, dinners out, meals in, parties...... to occupy his mind with.

Hes got you,and when you are gone, he has got 'when will they be back' to think about. Thats it.

Being outside he may not feel as secure and safe as he does inside, so really if you have put him outside thinking he will be happier or its better for him out there. you might need to rethink that.

If you have put him outside for some other reason.... I dont know, it depends on your reason. If it is because hes trashing the house or messing inside when you are gone then this wont solve it, it just swaps one problem for another.

He has to be taught to cope alone without you, it is not something that will come naturally to him.