potty training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sherrymyra

potty training

Post by sherrymyra »

I am desperate now. I have a 6 month female westie. She does not seem to have the concept of going outside. If anything it is getting worse. I have spied on her the last couple times after meals, for her to go poo. She heads into the living room. I stopped her as she was going and said outside. She did go outside then.

Tonight I was shampooing the carpet from pee, she peed right in front of the machine as I was cleaning.

What on earth?

It is not a uti. She does not go in her area for a whole 4 hours I leave her during the day, or during the night as she is crated for the whole night. She is capable of holding it. She somehow seems to think that she should go in the house.

:cry:

I don't know what to do. Ok. Any ideas would be welcome.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

First, you need to clean every single spot she's ever used to potty inside with a good enzymatic cleaner. It's not enough that you can't smell it; you need to be sure she can't smell it.

Then, you need to teach her that outside is the place to go.

Part of that is never, ever giving her a chance to make a mistake inside, until she has learned that going outside is The Thing To Do.

This means constant supervision. Direct supervision. Being in her general vicinity, being in the next room, is not direct supervision.

First thing in the morning, take her outside, take her direclty to her potty spot, and nothing else happens until she potties. When she potties, she gets a yummy treat, praise, petting playtime--a puppy party. Then inside, where she get some freedom--but under your direct supervision. Feed her, and then shortly after she eats, outside again, same drill.

Use an umbilical tether, and she won't be able to wander off and find a place to pee or poop outside your supervision. Pay attention to what she does right before she pees or poops, so that you learn what signs mean she needs to go. Pay attention to what times she potties, too, so that you can get her outside at those times.

Never punish a mistake in the house. If your supervision slips a bit, and you catch her about to potty, whisk her outside. If she completes her business outside, she gets rewarded for it.

Any time you can't directly supervise, if the umbilical tether is impractical for what you're doing, she's in her crate. It's not punishment, it's management; she should always get something nice when she goes into her crate.

It's important to remember that she is not being bad. She just hasn't learned what it is that you want. It's natural for dogs to avoid soiling their dens, but it's not obvious to them that we consider that the entire house is "the den." It takes patience and persistence to teach them that. But cheer up! At six months, she has much better bladder control than an eight- or ten-week pup, and she has a better attention span, too! :D

If you're persistent and consistent, she'll get the idea.

Lis
Brynne

Post by Brynne »

When we were potty training, we were literally taking our dog out probably 15-20 times during the day, plus 2-3 times in the middle of the night (at that time, we both had the luxury of being home all day, which certainly sped up the process). That was a much younger puppy than you have, and as Lis & Addy said, that's a good thing in a way! Your puppy won't need to go out as much. But if you're home, anyway, I would take her out that often just to make sure.

Take her out after playing, after eating, after drinking, before sleeping, after sleeping. Take her out if it's just been an hour or two since the last time you took her. She might not have to go every time that way, but you should wait with her outside awhile and give her ample chance to do her business. You can try saying something like "Go potty" when she goes and then praising her. After awhile you'll be able to take her out and tell her to "Go potty," and she'll know what you expect of her.

But just as Lis & Addy said, the key is to avoid her ever going inside again. Every accident sets you back in teaching her.
sherrymyra

Post by sherrymyra »

Honestly, I realize everything you said Lis, is exactly what I need to do. I just need to buckle down and do this. I try to keep an eye on her but she does get out of my sight. And even just a few seconds is all it takes and it is done.

At this point it seems that she is getting worse instead of better>

I don't know what she will think of being locked up while I cannot keep an eye on her. She may bark and whine.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

You must be disciplined and take puppy out at regular intervals. I know its hard and time consuming but soon you'll be able to leave her for longer pds of time. Is this a new behavior? Is she fixed? I've heard that girl dogs may need to pee a few extra times just before coming into heat. You said she is 6 mths old so it might be a possbility (?..)
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

Honestly, I realize everything you said Lis, is exactly what I need to do. I just need to buckle down and do this. I try to keep an eye on her but she does get out of my sight. And even just a few seconds is all it takes and it is done.
That's what the umbilical tether is for, and crating when it's not practical to use the umbilical. Honestly. It makes it impossible for her to wander off and do it out of your sight.

I suspect six months is early for a Westie to be having her first heat, but it might be wise to check with the breeder or other Westie owners. Or your vet.

It's rough, it's tedious, and it can make you want to cry, scream, tear you hair out. But if you are diligent and consistent, it gets better, it really does.

Lis
sherrymyra

Post by sherrymyra »

It's rough, it's tedious, and it can make you want to cry, scream, tear you hair out. But if you are diligent and consistent, it gets better, it really does.
I've been there. :lol: Thanks for the encourgement that it can be done. I
puregrace

Marking in the house

Post by puregrace »

I was given a full-bred Yorkie when he was 1 year old. I've now had him one year. He has not been neutered. He marks all over the house, always when I'm not looking. Is there any hope of breaking this habit? My husband gets very angry when he finds pee in the corners. This is a REAL "It's me or the dog" problem. Any tips??
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Is this a new behavior? If so get a vet check for UTI.

Ottherwise, First clean everywhere he has peed before with vinegar or enzymatic cleaner from pet store. All traces of urine must be remv'd thoroughly. Cleaning with soap & water still leave a hint of pee behind and dog can smell it enticing him to go there again.
Second start potty training from square. take him for a potty break every hour--eventually stretching it out to every few hrs and keep him on a regular schedule. Note when he usually pees/how long can he hold it and set your new schedule accordingly.
Third do not leave him unsprvs'd to roam around the house (for now) Either keep him tethered to you, or put him in a crate/x-pen or room with an uncarpeted floor with a baby gate when you cannot watch his every move. Never let him slink away to do his dirty deed. If he happens to get away and he lifts his leg, scoop him up (even if he's mid stream) and say "outside!"
Fourth do not give him an overabundance of water. What goes in, must come out. A little yorkie's bladder is very small. Think about it. If he's been playing hard/excercsing do give him plenty of water but for toodling around the house he won't need much.

other than that, make sure he gets enough exercise, engage him in mind games (see thread under exercise) A busy dog/tired dog is a good dog.

It will get better soon. When there's progress then you can slowly rtn to letting him roam around but keep doors shut and start with 15 mts increments.
That's all I got. If I missed anything the others will add on. Good Luck!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The chances are this is part habit.. and part anxiety/insecurity..

Is he properly housetrained, as in does he wait and ask to go outside and does he go outside with you present, watching him.

If no to any part of that then he isnt actually properly housetrained so the first thing to do is do that. Take him outside (not put or let, take!) and stay with him and reward him the second he goes.

If he doesnt go, or clearly doesnt want to go in your presence (and if hes ever been yelled at or scolded by you or before you had him, for going in front of someone, he may well be relunctant to do so), you have to keep taking him back inside, keeping a close eye on him and taking him outside again after a few minutes.

Eventually he will go in front of you and you can reward him for this - it may well take a while, I note you say he slinks off to wee up things and that to me YELLS that he expects to get told off if he is seen doing it.. so be prepared for it to take a while.

Once he IS going outside in front of you and being rewarded for it you can be a bit firmer if you catch him in the act, but ... bear this in mind.

Dogs often scent mark when they are anxious or insecure - when they get yelled at and dont understand why, this creates anxiety (its by far not the ONLY thing that will create anxiety...) and so you get a vicious circle.. dog scent marks, theres tension in the household, dog gets yelled at, doesnt know why so feels insecure and scent marks more.

You do need to understand this and also explain it to your husband as everyone in the house needs to behave calmly and nicely towards the dog. Dogs, like little kids, just cannot understand that someones having a bad day, or that the carpet is ruined and so anger and stress over such things create anxiety.. which creates a bigger problem.

Destress the environment, increase doggies confidence (and teaching him what he should do, what IS rewarding to do, with housetraining and in other ways, tricks nad games etc will do this), and make sure he is actually housetrained will sort the problem out long term.