I hope someone may have an Answer

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sko68

I hope someone may have an Answer

Post by sko68 »

I puppy just turned 1 years old and with all the training we have been working on has worked and he is a lot better puppy to be with, but the only issue with the any type of training issue we are having is with potty training. Dont get me wrong the only time he has an accident in the house is excitment peeing so anytime after extreme playing we take him out right away and we also try to take him out every hour just as a routine. The issue is when the routine is broken and it makes sense why we have the issue, but there are times we may be busy or doing something and we do not let him out every hour and my wife wants him to wear a diaper because of the new carpet when we are unable to take him out in his normal schedule. I do not like that idea but I understand her situation. Now please do not comment on him wearing the diaper, my goal is to not have him wear it at all.

What I want to cover is when he is wearing the diaper he will not urinate in it for upto 3 hours, but after 1 hour of not wearing the diaper he will pee in the house? I would like to get him where he can hold it for the 3 hours without wearing it and just do not understand why. Again 3 hours is very rare and we only put the diaper on maybe 2 times during the full week. We do put him in his crate also and no accidents there at all, it is only when he is outside of his crate and not wearing the diaper. I prefere him in his crate if I am unable to watch him though, she wants him to run around the house, but with the diaper. Anyone can help me to figure out why he is unable to hold it without the diaper or in the crate? Again please no comment on the diaper, I do not like it and working hard on why he cannot hold his peeing.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Have you tried taking up his water when you're gone? We've had to do that with ours before. Instead of water you could throw some ice cubes in a bowl so they can still get some liquid but it won't fill them up quickly.
sko68

Post by sko68 »

Yes we do use ice cubs or have a small amount of water in his crate. He is a Chi and I know they have small bladders. We have actually 4 others and they all can hold it for 4 hours with no problem. When we are at work we have a dog walker that comes over also.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

This is just a guess, but: I have sons. I remember when they were infants (and this is very common with all baby boys) often when I changed their diapers, they would immediately let loose a fountain as soon as their little pee-pee hit the air. The natural solution was to always keep the top of the diaper held over that part with one hand, while doing the "presto-change-o" with the other. Even as they grew into toddlers, and starting potty training, it seemed that running around naked just stimulated that urge to pee-- again, the air hitting the penis, and something about feeling so free and one with nature. Even when taking small boys out backwoods camping, when they discover it is okay to just whiz on a tree, it seems they have to pee every five minutes, lol.

So, I'm wondering if maybe it is similar with your little guy-- the diaper comes off, he's loose in the house, and all of a sudden he just cannot contain himself any longer. I know you have been battling this issue for a very long time, and been making great strides. I think this particular little dog may just have a physiological quirk that will never be completely overcome, though. It is something that will have to be managed through creative solutions and extra effort, schedule accommodations, etc., rather than "cured."
Brynne

Post by Brynne »

You could try practicing taking him out regularly even with the diaper on, if you're using it anyway-
Last edited by Brynne on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Regardless of age, and urine troubles should first have a vet exam to rule out any issues of a medical nature. Second smaller dogs like chi's and toy breeds can sometimes take more than a year to truly gain full bladder control. That being said you mention that he wees when excited.

This can come from extreme play, around the time you arrive home in anticipation of your return, or even play or arousal around your other dogs. Another thing to examine is exactly where he is peeing. Does he pee in areas where you spend a significant amount of time, or does he find a "hidden" area?.

All soiled areas must be thoroughly cleaned with an enzymatic based cleanser. even trace amounts of urine can attract him back to the same area to urinate. Likewise strong smellin cleaners like ammonia or bleach can also attract dogs to urinate in areas where used.

When you can't watch him, I would have him crated. This will reduce any excting things which happen when you are not around triggering him to pee. If you cannot crate him, at least block access to areas you cannot have soiled with baby gates or xPens.

Prior to departing enure that he has actually relieved himself. Quiet praise and treat to reward for elimination.

When leaving and arrive keep things matter of fact and low key, especially upon return. This overtime will help to reduce any anxious impending arrival need to eliminate.

Depending on your location and weather pulling water could be a very bad thing if it gets hot. My house for instance can get up to 110 inside and 115 outside during august and september. Water must always be available for my dogs.

When you are around, you can use a waist tether to prevent him from wandering off, and provide frequent breaks...sounds like once every hour while active might be a good start. Again go outside with him and make sure he goes. Reward him when he gets it.

I have both read and heard, that using clothes used to clean up urine via blotting can be placed in the area you want to encourage your dgo to eliminate to indicate to him this is the toilet. Its not something I have any experience with, but something I read in a couple of reputable books.

Use counter conditioning techniques to help your dog be calmer around things that excite him. If you give me some specific on triggering events/stimulation, I can give more clear ideas on how to work with each stimuli.
sko68

Post by sko68 »

Fundog that sounds almost like what maybe going on because when we do have him in the diaper and as soon as we take it off and I have to make sure we are outside sometimes, he pees. I know pretty much the signs when he has to go and I usually rush him outside.

He has had a vet check and no urine issues there. When we are away he is in his crate.

Yes he does have excitment peeing, but it is not when we come home or anything like that, it is when he is actually playing and running around. When he is done playing I will take him out, but on occations he has peed while playing and does not stop to pee, we find tracks around the coffee table. If he would stop of course it would be easier for us to know if he has to go. There is no particulare area where he likes to go, in front of us or away from us.

The 2 main things that excite him is playing and when we come home. If we are home he usually does not like being in the crate and he get him self all worked up. I have been working on this by giving him treats when he is calm and ignoring him when he gets worked up. I have not work up to the point where I can leave the room because as soon as I stand up he will start crying and pacing in the crate. Now when we leave he calms down until we show up or when it is time to go to bed he goes in his crate with no problems and goes to sleep right away. I know the crate thing will take a while but it is slowly working.

I will keep up my routine, but I want the diaper off him at all times eventually and I usually put him in the crate instead of putting the diaper on him where my wife would put the diaper on instead of putting him in the crate because she wants him to run around.