collie cross

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

andym

collie cross

Post by andym »

i found a great pamphlet on the internet about border collies i think nearly every area is covered from traits to personalities, know i dunno where i found it from was one of those mad 10 minutes surfing sessions but it does say the pamphlet can be copied and distributed for no on profit organistations so if anyone wants a copy pm me or leave a message here and i can e-mail it over its about 15 pages long on word, but it really helps you understand the collie.
harley

Post by harley »

Hi. We would be grateful for the info you have regarding border collies we have had ours 3months from a rescue, he has bad habit of "STALKING" our white fluffy cat all day. We wonder if he thinks its a sheep???

He wont get in car either for love nor money.

Apart from these problems he is doing fine thanks again for offering info

Please forward the leaflet you mentioned to:

[email protected]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya

When you say stalking, what actually happens?

Is he crouching down, sneaking about after the cat, or is he actually herding her, driving her about?

Collies need to herd, some collies more than others - if you dont want him to herd then you need to find something to replace that behaviour, you cant just get him to stop, he has a 'need' to do something.

What else does he like to do, other than stalking the cat, if he likes toys you can use those, treats or games, use those.

I would teach him a 'leave' cue, start off with asking him to leave things that he isnt *that* keen on anyway, preferably an every day boring toy.

Chuck the boring toy on the floor, ask him to leave and show him a really GREAT treat or toy instead. The idea is that 'leave' means to your dog ' dont have that... have THIS'.

When he has the hang of doing thatwith a boring toy, up it to a more interesting one - remember to make the reward nicer too, so increase the praise and fuss, a game with the more exciting toy, etc.

I would also limit his access to the cat, use a baby gate so the cat can get to places the dog cant.

When you have your leave cue working on a range of items, pick a time to ask him to leave the cat when the cat isnt being especially exciting, ie when its asleep!

If at any time, you ask him to l eave and he doesnt, stop asking. If he isnt 'leaving' then he doesnt find it rewarding enought o do it, or he doesnt understand the cue, asking again adn again is not likely to improve his behaviour but it IS likely to teach him that the cue word means nothing.

If you set him up to succeed in this way, starting with boring toys, then fun toys, then boring cat etc, you lessen the risk of failure and he will learn the command much better.

As for getting in the car....

What happens when he is in the car, where does he sit, where do you go, is he sick in the car? Has something frightening happened to him ni the car.

I would start with rewardign him for going as close to the car as he is currently happy with. Reward him for that and then leave it for a few hours. Go back and aim to get a bit nearer.

If he will go up to the car but not in it, just do that for a few sessions, then set it up so that if he gets IN the car, he can eat his dinner in there, and then get out again.

Take it slowly, if you can pinpoint what it is thats upset him all the better.

When he is happy to get in, dont just assumet hats fine and start taking him out, you may end up right back at square one. Instead sit in the car and start the engine, then stop it and get out.
Then drive just a few feet and stop and get out, then to the end of the street and back etc etc.

The idea is that getting in the car is no big deal, its a rewardign place to be (food treats or toys in the car).

Hth

Em