Another question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

spydre

Another question

Post by spydre »

Okay, when a family member got a new dog a couple of years ago, their Aussie Shepherd starting gaining weight - evidently he's starting to actually take food out of their hands, and when he gets done eating his meals, he goes over and takes the other dog's meals (which is probably why the dog is underweight - a mini dachsund). They KNOW the dog needs more exercise. This dog doesn't get walked, is not very well leash trained, so they just hope that he will get his exercise running around the postage stamp sized lawn (the couple are in their 60's, and one of them is disabled). Although I've seen references that the breed should be 35 - 60 pounds, well, even though this dog is in that range, you can tell it is fat - the area that was previously just fluffy hair is well, fat body. He's become food aggressive, etc. Although it is possible that he weighs more, I can't remember.

So I offered to walk the dog for them - the dog's not going to slim down without it (and they know that the dog needs more exercise). Well, the first thing out of their mouths was that I couldn't handle him because she can't handle him - so I reminded them that I handle an 80 pound dog on his walks, and if for some reason he decides to pull, and pull hard, I could get dragged around. So I convinced her to let me do it, since they weren't going to do it. I may start bringing him over here, too, in the backyard, so he and Dodger can have some playtime (we live about a block apart). Well, I haven't completely convinced her yet, she's going to talk to her husband about it. Truthfully, since they let the dog get that way, and really don't make an attempt to stop it, I wasn't going to offer, but in my mind, I can't let the dog suffer anymore - it's not healthy for him, and being shut in the house or yard (on the leash) isn't getting him exercised, and it's making him even more dog aggressive for dogs that don't live with them.

I know part of the problem is the food they are feeding him - they are giving him 1 cup per meal of cheaper, mainly filler dog food, which leads him unsatisfied (leading to the begging and stealing of the little dog's food), but frankly, since they shop by what is cheaper for them (they can't believe we spend the $10 extra to get Merrick), and have been known to reward begging, I'm keeping my mouth shut. And I don't know what they have tried to keep him from stealing the little dog's food, but they wouldn't appreciate me "butting in" on that either.

So, I'm just going to do what I can, and make sure that he walks some of the extra calories off. Well, okay, both dogs have training issues, but they will have to deal with that.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm stressed so I'm not going to be as polite as normal. :evil: These people are dumb clucks. Why in heaven's name haven't they figured out that if they feed the dogs in separate places or stand between them and STOP any thieving, one dog won't take the other's food?

There is NO excuse for letting one dog take another's food.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Thats very polite Nettle, given your stress.. *flowers*..

Spydre, well done for staying calm with them because it is SO frustrating when you can see there are easy and obvious solutions that they just cannot be bothered to take.

Feeding one of the dogs in a seperate room.

Feeding a better quality food to both dogs.

Add chopped veg to the fatter dogs dinners so he feels hes getting more quantity.. but isnt getting extra fattening food.

Not allowing begging (if they want to feel nice giving dogs left overs, put them in a dog bowl and give at meal times and reduce the quantity of food given overall).

Well done to you for walking this dog - in your shoes i would walk it to the nearest pet store and get a headcollar or harness fitted - out of my own money. I wouldnt even mention it to them unless they asked what it was, say nowt and let them see you managing to walk this dog nicely and then they may be more interested!