Dog and Lightning

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

walknbear

Dog and Lightning

Post by walknbear »

Hi eveyone, I got a question, first of all I am deaf, completely deaf not born with it...but I have three dogs....one of them is so afraid of thunder, she shakes really bad, it is serious she stay near me , when she come near me
that when I know there is a thunder near by, the storm rushing here....it can
be good for her to tell me but still it bothers me to see her scared of it...how
do I do that to get her not to be afraid of it??

I've watched the show and hoping that wuld happen to someone else dog
to similar as my dog Hanna.

appreciate anyone let me know thank
WalkBear
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hi Walknbear, Ive moved your post to this area of the forum in the hope it will get a few more views and some ideas on what you can do to resolve this situation.

Do you have a hearing helper, because one of the methods of teaching dogs not to be scared of sounds is to change association, so you reward the dog each time the sound occurs. Obviously you'll need someone to tell you when that sound actually happens (though you could do some work with a cd of thunder recordings as long as someone tells you at what point on the track counter the thunder actually happens so you know to reward then).

Long term then you could teach your dog to do a specific thing upon hearing thunder, go fetch a certain item, or sit in a particular place, which becomes their job... and then you can reward them for it and so a thunderstorm becomes a game rather than something to fear.
walknbear

Post by walknbear »

Yes my husband who can hear he can tell me these the sound, we live out in the country, it pretty much quiet out here, so Im thinking what kind of sound wuld that be, the rest of the day the are very quiet almost daily basic and the only thing our dogs hear is someone open/shut the car door, a knock on the door, and other animal noise outside like cats certainly gets their attention barking running around the yard looking for it, other noise in the air plane, Hanna like to bark at the blimp she thinks is a bird she is part pointer and pitbull shes more pointer but short medium size. Our two dogs are 13, 12 yrs old hard of hearing, Hanna is 11, she is the stayed around me at all time she can hear....they dog follow her whatever she hears something they follow her more like depend on her.

thank you for responding the question I need to know that I was not able to find learn it from tv and Ill let you know how it turn out. then again appreciate it.
Hug
WalkBear
emmabeth wrote:Hi Walknbear, Ive moved your post to this area of the forum in the hope it will get a few more views and some ideas on what you can do to resolve this situation.

Do you have a hearing helper, because one of the methods of teaching dogs not to be scared of sounds is to change association, so you reward the dog each time the sound occurs. Obviously you'll need someone to tell you when that sound actually happens (though you could do some work with a cd of thunder recordings as long as someone tells you at what point on the track counter the thunder actually happens so you know to reward then).

Long term then you could teach your dog to do a specific thing upon hearing thunder, go fetch a certain item, or sit in a particular place, which becomes their job... and then you can reward them for it and so a thunderstorm becomes a game rather than something to fear.
spydre

Post by spydre »

Thank you for asking this question. Both Loth, our last dog, and Dodger, our current dog, have had this issue. Actually, Dodger has issues with most loud noises, but usually he recovers quickly, and comes to check out what made the noise. HOwever, with thunder (and so, by default, storms), he becomes glued to either myside or my husband's side.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
walknbear

Post by walknbear »

You welcome, your dog are pretty.

spydre wrote:Thank you for asking this question. Both Loth, our last dog, and Dodger, our current dog, have had this issue. Actually, Dodger has issues with most loud noises, but usually he recovers quickly, and comes to check out what made the noise. HOwever, with thunder (and so, by default, storms), he becomes glued to either myside or my husband's side.
spydre

Post by spydre »

Thank you!
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]