question about clicker training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AbbyJo123

question about clicker training

Post by AbbyJo123 »

When you are introducing your dog to clicker training, you're always supposed to give a treat when you click right? But once they understand that the click means they are doing a good behavior, do you still have to always give a treat?

I ask because I want to teach my dog to stay on the right side of me when walking or running on a leash and trying to click and treat him while running is going to be tough! So will I eventually be able to just click to tell him he is doing something right? Or should I start out doing this training while walking, and once he's got walking down, will it transfer to running?
Marley

Post by Marley »

With clicker training you click and treat whenever they do what you asked. I find clicker training best to teach something where I want specific action. For example "drop" (where she drops the toy).

If you stop treating when you click the dog will stop listening for the click and it will lose its effectiveness.

When you want to wean the dog off the click/treat (when I know my dog knows what I want) I stop clicking as often and replace it with a good girl. Eventually I don't click anymore just provide the verbal praise.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, common misunderstanding..

Click ALWAYS = reward. Always.

The click will never ever ever replace the reward.

Use the clicker to teach a new behaviour or trick or routine of behaviours/tricks.. and then phase out the CLICKER.

I wouldnt ever completely phase out a reward anyway, but you dont need to carry the clicker AND the treats around with you all day every day for ever more. Just when you are wanting to capture something new, or for specific training sessions.