fear of walking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Asterix

fear of walking

Post by Asterix »

Hi,
My question is about me to be honest.
My dog has been attacked on walks and training classes several times over the years. 3 times he has needed stitches, once I was bitten by the attacking dog. Another time a dog was wound up when we walked past and just bit my hand when I kept myself in between the dogs. Most of the time it's different dogs, usually collies for some reason. One time I thought the attacker was going to kill my dog as it got him by his throat and didn't let go for minutes.

My own dog is highly trained, never goes to another dog off the lead and is under control at all times. He's very obedient and confident and luckily hasn't been mentally affected by the attacks. It's me who has. He goes for walks 3 times a day for 2 hrs per day. He's a 5 year old male and isn't castrated as we show him.
I use distraction with a treat with him when we go past dogs on the lead and I don't let him eyeball other dogs.
Now my problem is that I'm not confident when walking him anymore and of course he picks up on my mood. I'm scared he will be attacked again. People have their dogs off the lead even that they know their dogs aren't friendly. We have talked to the people, but they don't seem to take it seriously. Sometimes it's dogs that we know, other times it's dogs we just meet in the forest.
Luckily we very rarely meet other dogs because it's quiet where we live, and most of the time dogs are friendly though.
If it's an entire male, they usually make a beeline for my dog and I'm left defending him as the other owners aren't near. I'm very experienced with dogs, have competed and been a trainer for 20 years, but for some reason I'm loosing confidence in my own ability to handle these situations.
Every time I've had time to protect my dog and keep the other dog away I have succeeded so far. But I'm getting more and more nervous about walks.
Just this morning a strange dog was running around us off the lead and managed to nip me on my thigh. No harm done, just a bit of pain, but still.
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Of course it's hard to keep your confidence up when you have had repeated bad occurrences! That being said...it's quite amazing your dog is not reacting the same way...

Have you thought about carrying an umbrella or an air horn or something to deter other dogs from you when you are walking? Do YOU make extended eye contact with the other dogs? Do you tighten up on the leash? You may have to work consciously practicing loosening up the leash, pulling out and extending the umbrella etc (with and without your dog, so it doesn't startle HIM too) so that when you do feel the need, you can effectively deter the other dogs.

By the way...what you are having happen is a sense of learned helplessness..you feel you cannot prevent this from happening. To a certain extent it is true, as you must rely on other to have control of their dogs..BUT you DO have a choice as to how you react and how you feel about it afterwards. Take charge and fake it til you make it.

Good luck.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

I understand where you are coming from. A couple of weeks ago Chloe was attacked in the AM at ou local DP. She ended up with 7 punctures.

Chloe is a trained therapy dog wo also works with other dogs and small animals (rats, rabbits and guinea pigs). I was worried more about the attack harming her from the trauma to the point of no longer being able to perform the job I had worked so hard to train her for....bringing smiles and joy to the people she visits. I have yet to return to that DP in he AM when she was attacked with any of my dogs.

I do think that not only was my dog injured physcally, but witnessing and being involved has also traumatized myself to a certain extent. I find myself even being more and more vigillant about what dogs are in the park and going elsewhere if I see a dog I know is not controlled.

It may take sometime, but keep out there walking. As mentioned and umbrella, or airhorn may give you some level of deterence for unwanted approaching dogs...Though Apollo, one of my other dogs, would want to play 101 things to do with an umbrella as it was one of the items we used for training.
Asterix

Post by Asterix »

Thank you so much for the advice.
I followed your advice and have been carrying an umbrella when I know an attack may happen. My boy hasn't been attacked since and I have fended off dogs. And I have taken those incidents as a positive sign that I am able to do something about things and not feel helpless.

Yes, I do tighten the leash in order to keep myself between the dogs. I need work on that. I suppose I do stare at the other dogs too, so have to pay attention to my own behaviour.

I hope Chloe is doing better and able to do her excellent job :)