mouthing pup

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alinor

mouthing pup

Post by alinor »

I think my head is going to explode!!! I have been given so much advice read countless tips and training methods I am feeling confused. I have a nine week old staffie called boris, who I think is crossed with a crocodile he tends to mouth (er thats trainer talk for nip?) the small people mostly but the big people have a share also. It is important to note that this is not malicious, but playful and is worsened when he becomes exited. In other ways he has proved easy to train - taken to sleeping in his crate from day one to the point where he now goes in of his own accord when he wants to sleep.
We have tried the following-Yelp once nipped glare at boris and walk away each time he mouths or nips-worked for a day,now he just bounds away and will focus his attention on some wires or the legs of the sofa instead.I have tried to distract with chew toys (we have no pulling games as they are a definate no no until he calms down).I have taken him out of the room for time out etc etc etc,he seems to relish coming back with all his guns blazing when told off and even when collar checked(an old breeder advised me to pull him on his collar hold his head glare and say no) nothing works...he has calmed a little but until I can get him to a training class I am worried I will damage his long term future he can't be happy creating madness? I have had the breed before, jack was 14 when he died and was totaly different to boris. I know its only been a week but any advice would be such a help,I know the breed gets a bad press but we hope to be the proud owners of a well balanced happy dog....with manners am I worrying too much, is this normal puppy behaviour that will subside as he gets older? please help :(
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

There is a definite problem with too much information!

My preferred method is to use the consequence of "Negative Punishment" - which simply means "take something away which causes a decrease in the behaviour".

This is a case of saying "ouch" in a neutral tone of voice AS SOON AS puppy bites TOO HARD (soft mouth is ok), then a 30 second time out - puppy gets no attention at all, not even a glance, leave the room if you have to.

Anything that looks like fighting puppy off (pushing, collar checks, growling) is very likely to make matters worse - as a dog in this frame of mind would find most of those things inherently reinforcing.

Hence the problem with too much advice - you don't stick with what works long enough to see it work, then you go and try something new and bring all your hard work unstuck. How frustrating!

I might add, that you DID find something that worked - pretty much exactly what I have suggested - the bounding off and finding something else to chew was a decrease in the target behaviour. That was the precise moment to introduce a chew toy, or even better, something with food in it, like a Kong toy stuffed with soaked kibble and frozen overnight or a recreational bone to chew on.

A more complete article can be found here:
http://www.positivepetzine.com/articles.html

On the topic of tug games, there's nothing wrong with controlled tug games played by your rules. They build good manners and self-control when played properly. How to teach this is a bit more complicated, but don't buy into the old wive's tales about tug games with dogs :-)
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com
alinor

Post by alinor »

thank you aiden,I as well as the rest of boris's family have used the" ouch" method ..... with confidence today in the knowledge that we are doing the right thing and we will stick to it,its worked so far today until my daughter came home from school...he bit a hole in her jeans front on,upon her turning her back and ignoring him he decided to place his needle teeth into her rear pockets and "lock on " that was until I stepped in as he was hurting her and simply said in a soft tone " you do" he released and sat beside me.... in short I wish to thank you ....my pup is normal and I have played a massive tug game today which we both loved,not sure if you know the breed but they are great dogs( as are they all) I just want to to do right by him....thanx fella :D