Two sheltie problems

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ruckusluvr

Two sheltie problems

Post by ruckusluvr »

My sheltie keeps trying to chase joggers, or any fast moving human. I know that is common with herding breeds, but its more like he wants to BITE than nip. He also growls, and his hackles raise up. What do I need to do when he acts this way?

He also acts this way while he are on a hike. Its like he cannot see other hikers until they round the corner and it surprises him so he acts aggressive.
Ruckus was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance and is on Elavil for his anxiety.

Ruckus used to chase cars while on walks too. Luckily he out grew that.

Lynn, my other sheltie (1 yr old) has just now gotten in to chasing cars while on leash. I really dont want to wait a couple of years for her to just grow out of it like I did with Ruckus. What can I do? Ruckus used to lunge as hard as he can trying to bite the wheels. But Lynn just now is eyeing them and trying to run out in front of them. So is no where as intense as Ruckus was. I want to nip it in the but before it gets worse!
ruckusluvr

Post by ruckusluvr »

I forgot to mention.

Ruckus also doesnt allow any visitors to move in the house! he will not let them in the door until I make him lay at his spot and wait. But after he has calmed down and i gave him to okay to get up, any one moving sets him off again! and my other sheltie makes it worse because she will go to her place and stay too, but the whole to she is barking (out of excitement, not aggression)
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Victoria has had quite a few shows on this type of behavior and her techniques work very well.

Joggers etc: as soon as you see a jogger / car etc., let your dogs see them as well and quickly walk them away from what is causing them to react. You need to do this before they get too over-excited. So when you see that particular object coming near you, turn the dogs around and walk the other way and at the same time say "let's go!". Use a calm but happy voice. You just need to keep doing it until you can get the reaction you want from them. It will wear you at times BUT this method is very effective. I'm having similar problems with my Shitzu (just with people in general not cars thank God! lol) but it does produce positive results if you keep at it. Another thing, when you re-introduce your dogs to joggers, do it from a safe distance and gradually bring them closer when you see they are NOT reacting. Also do it from different angles - like from behind or from the side. Head-on introduction at first is not a good idea.

Inside: there are a couple different techniques. Just try them out and see which one works for you.

Method #1. Put them on leads and keep them with you. If they start reacting in the way you have described, remove dogs from the room and don't let them back in until they are quiet. They will eventually make the association that in order for them to be in the same room as you and your guests, they must be quiet.

Method #2. Distribute dogs favorite treats to guest. Advise guests not to make eye contact with dogs (basically have them ignore the dogs completely). Have guests drop food on floor. It's very important for them to ignore the dogs until your dogs are comfortable with being sociable with your guests.

Also, remember, we humans can look scary or intimidating (in size) to dogs. Basically, it's a good idea to make yourself more their size so you are not so threatening to them.

Make sure guests are seated and when they do get up to move around have them nonchalently drop some treats on floor. This should start forming a positive association between yummy treats and your guests.

I have tried both these methods and they do work very well provided your visitors cooperate with you. I also had it backfire on me because of an uncooperative visitor (my son who thought he knew a better way lol)

My daughter has a Sheltie and yes they sure do like to herd (other pets as well as humans lol) but she would always make you think she was going to bite but she didn't. Actually she's a very sweet and loving dog and EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT and it didn't take her long to learn to stay calm.

Even though these lovely shelties have the herding instinct, it's your responsibility to let them know when it is okay to do it and when it is not okay to do it. FYI, we are now at a point if the other 2 dogs are playing, Casey will sit and watch and look at us for an ok to herd. And when we give her the ok, she herds them in a corner but she's wagging her tail and the dogs know she is not going to hurt them. Casey is 7 years old so yes it took a long time to get to this point but we did it lol.

I hope this helps you and good luck.
ruckusluvr

Post by ruckusluvr »

sorry it took me so long to respond. Thank you so much. I will try out everything you mentioned!