Smells that cause dogs to mark

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogzRule1996

Smells that cause dogs to mark

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I was wondering if there are any smells that causes dogs to mark. My puppy keeps marking in the house, and I heard that vinegar is a good way to help stop that, but he continues to mark in places that are not sprayed with vinegar. I also heard that baking soda causes dogs to urinate. Is this true and are there any other smells that can cause them to urinate?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

With any urination problem step one is to rule out any medical issues.

step 2 is to ensure that any accident in the house is cleaned thoroughly with an enymatic based cleaner. Do not use bleach. Dog have extremely sensitive noses and often times smell where the "bathroom is". Bleach can smell like a previous area soiled.

step 3 is to limit access to areas of the house were you cannot have any soiling when you are not watching the puppy. Keep the puppy tethered and about every 2 hours take the puppy out to go potty.

Watch for signs like scratching and sniffing which may indicate your puppy needs to go. When your dog goes outside throw a party.

If you cannot watch your puppy, confine to either an xPen or crate, but mind your time.

If your puppy makes a mess, its not his fault. Potty training is all about observation. If you fail to observe its your fault not his. Clean up and start again.

This also works with new adult dogs brought into a home, though the frequency of going out may be lengthened.

Depending on breed and age of the puppy it can take up to 18 months for a dog to develope full bladder and bowel control. Surgeries like spaying can occasionally cause bitches to experience "leaks". Once trained, soiling is often a sign of a uniary tract infection or other health issue.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Every 2 hrs for a potty trip is much too long for a puppy. Small breed pups shld be taken out every 20-30 mts until success then stretch it out to 45/1hr etc. Lrg breed pups shld be taken out every 45-1hr, then increased as success is achieved. However if there are accidents in between those times then pup has to go out more frequently. And tethering pup to you as you learn his signals is an excellent idea.
BUt first & foremost take little guy to vet to rule out any medical problems.
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Maximoo you are so cool :-)

So that's where I've been going wrong but I did figure it out eventually and you just confirmed it.

Thanx Max!
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

The vet confirmed that he does not have any medical problems. So are there actually smells that can cause dogs to use the restroom?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Thanks for saying I'm COOL! I've always suspected it, but nobody has confirmed it till now, lol :lol: :roll:

I remember your other thread and your tiny girl is having good/bad days/weeks. When someone is coming over you might to take her for a quick potty just prior. Upon my own observations (of my own boy Max, & of other dogs) and watching IMOTD, sometimes some dogs drink way too much water especially little dogs. Let vet tell you what an adequate is intake for Mia to be healthy and well hydrated. More than that is unecessary and causes potential accidents & more potty trips. Since she is 7 mth old now she shld be able to hold it for about 8 hrs at night. The rule of thumb I always heard was to add 1 to the age of pup. (4 mth old pup, shld hold for up to 5 hrs, etc) I am in no way suggesting to withhold water just not to overhydrate and again chk with vet. :)

I hope I didn't hijack this thread :P
Salistra

Post by Salistra »

Max

Someone suggested putting a couple of ice cubes in water dish to prevent the over drinking. Mia sleeps all night in crate - no accidents. Thanks hon!

Now about those smells! The only thing I have ever heard is if another animal has soiled there and was not properly cleaned.... that encourages them to go there.

Some great people on this forum have suggested to limit the pup's roam of your home. We use a babygate and keep little Mia restricted to which rooms she can go in. One of those rooms is where she likes to soil. So now it is off limits to her. I have no idea what the attraction is but she has favorite places as well in that one room. I've been through 2 1/2 cans of "pet urine cleaner". The places I used the special cleaner - she doesn't seem to be interested in anymore and picks a new spot but in the same room. People that used to live here had 4 rescue dogs who never went outside ..... need I say more? So it could very well be she smells where they went before. Not sure if this is the case with your dog. We are going to shampoo the rugs one more time and if all else fails, we will replace them in hopes that will help. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the "certain smells" but that is an interesting question you have asked.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Actually I never asked a q on this thread it was dogzrule. No matter. But that was me on another thread who suggested ice cubes. Some other posters flogged me, thinking that I suggested withholding water :P

I do not have carpet in my house. I didn't get a puppy until I tiled my house last year-so much easier to clean & eliminate smells. Carpet may not be practical in cold weather region, but I leave in FL and it is very common to have whole house tiled. However the elderly usually do carpet.

I think you are right in that she smells the previous inhabitants. You will have to super steam/deororize, or change the carpet /switch to tile/wood.
Dig deep into those pockets now :P
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

We have wooden floors. Everytime after I clean up a mess, I spray some vingar on it, and my dog NEVER goes back there again. So does baking soda really cause dogs to mark?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

The only way to find out is to pour some on the floor and see if he pees on it. lol :lol:
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I did, but he didn't really exactly mark on it... What other smells WILL cause a dog to mark?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)