Puppy won't go outside without me or potty

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ShyGirl

Puppy won't go outside without me or potty

Post by ShyGirl »

I have a 4 month old pomeranian puppy (I've had him two months). He hates to be away from me. I have a large fenced yard for him to play in. Unfortunately, he will not play in it, unless I am physically standing on the lawn with him. If I leave, he comes up on the deck and whines and barks non-stop. I have tried blocking him off of the deck, but he won't move away from the barricade. I have even gone outside on the lawn and sat and ignored him, trying to get him to be more independent, but all he'll do is sit by my side until i move around.

This sweet little guy also refuses to go potty without me outside with him, and would just asume go inside. I take him outside and praise him when he goes, but he still messes in the house too. He is in his crate while I'm gone (3 hours max) and sleeps in his crate at night and goes out first thing in the morning (but if I don't go out with him, he goes right in front of the door, then dances in it barking to get in).

I am self employed, and am lucky enough to be able to take time off as needed to work with him, but I feel like I am not making any progress (getting rid of him does not cross my mind, I just want him to be happy here)
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I was told that you HAVE to be there to monitor your dogs/puppies because they wont go unless you're there.

It's like a little kid who just learned how to potty, they want EVERYONE to see and since its a dog they want to get praise when they have gone, "Good boy, good girl" and have treats coming left and right.

Besides if my dog wanted me to be there while she pottied outside, I'll be right next to her because they'll just hold it and when they do. Your house will become their bathroom.

Why do you leave him outside alone anyway?
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
ShyGirl

Post by ShyGirl »

I do wait outside with him while he potties most of the time, and praise him, but since I am still potty training him, I have him tethered to me at all times in the house, until he starts letting me know he has to go outside. But it would be nice to shower, cook dinner, or even go to the bathroom without him next to me. I also put him outside if any little kids are around until I can introduce them, so no one gets scared, over excited, or hurt. I take him for three walks a day, and I go play in the yard every evening for about an hour, but I've never had a dog (I've had 6 others) that didn't like to be outside on nice days instead of in the house. I just really want to make sure that there isn't a problem starting so that I can get it taken care of right away.
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I see, have you tried Crate training? Crate training is a good way to help potty training dogs and puppies. The crate provides their housing or den and dogs are clean animals and wont want to potty in their crate. It helps them hold it until they are let out.

When I crate my 9 and a half week Pomeranian puppy while I'm working so I know she is safe and wont potty everywhere or get into things. I make sure my brothers let her outside, give her a meal and play with her while I'm out.
When I come home I take her outside as soon as she gets let out of her crate.

When I'm cooking or cleaning or doing something that I cannot divide my attention so I crate her until I'm done.

He may cry a lot while he's crated only because he's used to being near all the time. My pom whines when I leave the room and crate her only if its for a few minutes but she's starting to pipe down and get used to it. plus she's been away from her family for a few weeks so she's still adjusting.

I hope that helps, if not a fan of crating you can also place baby gates around the house, when your dog will get older he'll gain some independence and wont need to be around so much. I know it'll be a WHILE before mine will gain independence. :lol:
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You can't have him tethered to you then expect him not to follow you everywhere when he isn't tethered. You are teaching him to follow you everywhere.

I prefer to get my dogs into a routine for taking them out, at 4 months old I would take him out every 45 minutes as well as when he wakes up, before and after he is fed, after a play or training session. By doing it like this you learn when he is likely to go and can then adapt taking him out to those times.

It doesn't matter if he sniffs round a bit after he has toileted, it can have a positive effect on him toileting outside, makes it more fun.

Puppies are 24/7 until they are a bit older, it is up to us as owners to give them every chance of succeeeding to be the dogs we want by settng them up to succeed.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]