Alpha Rolling

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emma&Tess

Alpha Rolling

Post by Emma&Tess »

Hi all

My Dad wants to alpha roll my puppy when she is really excited and jumps up or mouths. I tell him to turn his back on her when she jumps but he says that he just gets dirt on his back. He also says that it is working well because she knows he is boss.

please help
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

Getting dirt on your back is a lot better than having a dog become very aggressive when it gets older and try to bite your face off whenever you try to roll it.

let your dad know that Alpha rolling a dog will not fix a problem but cause a behavior that you don't want and it can be hard to get her out of it.

If the dog was yours I'd tell him leave the behavior training to you because YOU'RE the dogs boss.

There are many people who are trainers themselves and can explaine the effects of it a lot better than I can.
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thanks for that Kittylove5
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

People alpha rolling dogs gets a lot of people bitten and a lot more dogs into rescue/rehab. Sometimes their fear is so great they can't be rehabilitated. Tell your Dad firmly to STOP (reward with a hug and a kiss - Dads like that) and promise him that you will work hard on stopping your dog jumping up if he helps you by doing what works.

Then show him some information from proper dog trainers (not the sort who "alpha roll") which tells us how to stop dogs jumping up (I'll leave it to others on here to point you in the right direction). Explain to him that the dog doesn't think he's boss at all, he thinks he's a big mean bully who would rather scare a dog than explain to the dog what is wanted.

Scared dogs bite.

You need to keep Dad on-side because often Dads don't understand the finer points of dog-training, especially if he has seen people use force and it appears to have worked - but Dads working with you are twice the help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maryd

Post by maryd »

I had a friend of mine growing up that her dad was the same way. He seemed to have control of his dogs but I was a little aprehensive. I new her when I was 5 up intil graduation and her dog Molly always seemed like she was in a "scared" state of mind.

I am sorry but I sure wouldn't want my dog scared of me. I like the idea that my dog comes to me when I call to him and doesn't cower in fear. And as a child, I was always scared that she might turn on me because of the way she always looked fearful.

I am hoping that you can help him understand this because you can "attract more bees with honey". :)
Mary D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oooh...

Nettles right Dads have to be handled carefully and I'm not great at that.

Id be tempted to ask if Dad would respect a boss who threatened to kill him with a gun to his head, on a daily basis, because that IS the equivalent human behaviour.

Theres scientific papers now available that show that training using domination, fear and actual pain is not the most effective method and is also cruel, sometimes abusive!

I would ensure that pup doesnt get the chance to jump on dad, using a house lead that cant snag on anything and plenty of treats to call her away from him and ask her to sit instead. You could also send him here to read this.... being a bully and using size and strength against someone smaller does not earn respect.... just fear. No one respects a bully!
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I've been reading about Aplha rolling,

People say that Alpha rolling does not show dominance but the ones who are doing the rolling are the dogs/wolves who show no threat. They roll their own selves over on their own accord to show their belly basically saying, "I'm no threat"

In a dog fight a dog would pin another dog onto its back to "go for the kill"

So by your dad forcing your dog onto it's back is showing him that he's trying to kill him and that's how you get a scared submissive aggressive dog.

Now when my mom had her Chihuaua Dachound mix she would roll herself over onto her back and show her belly whenever she get into trouble and that body language basically told me, "Sorry sorry"

She'd also do this to our cat when they were playing and she'd get too rough and would roll herself on her back.

But dogs aren't stupid, they know we aren't dogs you can't show you're "Alpha dog" because you're not.
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thanks for the info guys :)
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

My Dad has just read this thread he is having a think about it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yay - good on Dad for reading and thinking :)

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3372

Check out the link in the first post on this thread which explains why dominance theory inc. alpha rolling doesnt work and also the dangers of attempting it.