Heavy mouthing and biting: how to approach the problem

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ruth

Heavy mouthing and biting: how to approach the problem

Post by Ruth »

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so HELLO, nice to be here.
I have a 2.5 month old parson russell terrier. He is the most incredible mouther if have ever seen, AND, I don't think Lander got to understand the bite inhibition thing. I have read that when bitten, squeal, or, when bitten, give a sharp NO, or when bitten, hold jaw together and say "no bite" - however... nothing has worked so far. I understand it may just be a matter of time, as I have only had the little guy for two weeks, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Stop holding his jaw shut and telling him no. Actually, I'm not a big fan of the word "no" being used unless its an actual command (we teach our dogs that "no" means "stop, sit, look at me")

Yelp loudly when he nips, move away and ignore him for 6-10 seconds (puppies don't have long attention spans-- a startling yelp and social deprivation from a litter mate last for about the same span of time) rinse, lather, repeat.

There are some terrier people here who can give you more specific advice if the continues to be a problem. But please don't punish him for being a puppy!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

WendyM wrote: rinse, lather, repeat.

Oh I LOVE that :D may I borrow it?

Terriers are often very 'mouthy' and some get more excited by the yelp, so if yours is one of those, I find a tone of hurt reproach as you would use if saying "Oh how could you do that" works too. Then time-out, as they are busy little things and like to be involved in every aspect of your life.

When I have a mouthy dog to deal with, I keep a supply of old socks, soft toys etc. and stuff something into its mouth when it opens. Then I praise and fuss. But if the open mouth goes onto me, then as above.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Thanks for that. The truth is that recently, because nothing seems to be working, I have indeed stopped holding his mouth shut, and am just using the word no, over and over again. When he bites particularly hard, I put him in his play pen for a minute or so, let him out (so long as he's not whining), and start all over again! With whining, it works in so far as he stops biting, but it seems to send him bonkers and needs to dash manically around the house!!!

I will continue to yelp, perhaps not so loudly, and use the time out strategy in his pen, unless anyone thinks this may be a bad idea.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Of course Nettle! I think I borrowed it from a friend who probably borrowed it from a friend :D

Ruth, I don't have any experience using pens for time outs so I can't answer that for you. But I wanted to assure you that 90% of the time (unless you have a very sensitive dog that startles easily and doesn't recover from a start quickly) you can be just as loud as your dog, the key is to use a high pitched voice with true indignation as soon as teeth hit skin.

Ouch, yelp, pip, bop!!! Those make such good exclamations.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The key is to make it very very clear that the biting hard results in complete cessation of play/interaction/FUN...

Terriers are predisposed to bite and bite hard and some will find a yelp exciting... though what they find more exciting is a battle - which is why attempting to hold his mouth shut isnt going to be a useful method!

Time outs can work really well but again you have to be able to implement them in a non exciting way, if you can swiftly eject him from the room and close the door for a 30 second period, do that and do it consistantly. EVERY time he starts the biting game, do not wait until he is being obnoxious and unbearable!

If however you wind up chasing him round the room.. then that method isnt for you.

Given his age, you have presumably only had him a very short time and these methods do require time to work, and as high a level of consistancy as you can achieve (and thats something we humans do struggle with!). Hes going to naturally be a mouthy bitey pup for some time to come because of his age, his breed, because he will go through teething, because he is a dog and all he has to physically investigate his world is his teeth...

Pick whichever method of immediately removing the 'reward' (ie the interaction) will suit you and your household best. I tend to advise not using a crate as a time out zone because it can lead to the crate being viewed as a punishment... which can be counter productive for other lessons he needs to learn.

Provide multiple opportunities to bite and chew appropriately, the kinds of toys HE likes (you would be amazed the number of people provide the kinds of toy THEY like and not the ones the dog likes.... for example, denying a dog soft cuddly dog toys because they rip the heads off and shred them... but this is the DOGS toy and what the dog likes to do with his toy...!!!).

Behave consistantly, and make sure other people who interact with him do as well.
Ruth

Biting terrier pup

Post by Ruth »

That sounds logical and reasonable. I knew terriers were spritely things, just not to what extent. Then again, for me, tht is part of what makes them such amazing creatures.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, within the next month or so, things will at least have improved.