A dog who digs...HELP PLEASE!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nata-doglover

A dog who digs...HELP PLEASE!

Post by Nata-doglover »

HI everyone!

I have a problem with my labrador, who loves to dig. He totally made our yard look ugly. Now, we are moving to another State and will be renting a house for some time. So digging is totally uneccaptable behavoir. We dont know what to do. He only digs when we cant see him. He has lots of toys, i excercise him daily, so i really cant tell that the dog is totally bored. And he loves beeing outside. And dig. My husband wants to get him a shock collar, so every time he digs he gets a shock ( husband wants to sit near the window and control the dog). I am totally against this methods. Its so mean and might inscrease dogs agression. I am really looking for a positive solutions. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Otherwise poor dog will get shocks in a dayle basis, unless i will come with great positive solution.
Pawzk9

Re: A dog who digs...HELP PLEASE!

Post by Pawzk9 »

Nata-doglover wrote:HI everyone!

I have a problem with my labrador, who loves to dig. He totally made our yard look ugly. Now, we are moving to another State and will be renting a house for some time. So digging is totally uneccaptable behavoir. We dont know what to do. He only digs when we cant see him. He has lots of toys, i excercise him daily, so i really cant tell that the dog is totally bored. And he loves beeing outside. And dig. My husband wants to get him a shock collar, so every time he digs he gets a shock ( husband wants to sit near the window and control the dog). I am totally against this methods. Its so mean and might inscrease dogs agression. I am really looking for a positive solutions. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Otherwise poor dog will get shocks in a dayle basis, unless i will come with great positive solution.
If your husband has the time to hide in the house and shock the dog, I'd think he'd also have the time to hide in the house and redirect the dog to another activity. One thing you might try is to build him a "sandbox", fill it with dirt and bury toys and biscuits in it. When you see him starting to dig in an unacceptable area, redirect him to his area. The fact is, that even when dogs like being outside, they frequently get a bit bored or anxious at being alone (they are a social animal) and when dogs are bored or anxious, they do normal doggie hardwired behaviors - like digging. Another option would be to make him a house dog and go out with him, so he is supervised and can be quickly interrupted when he starts to dig. Good for you for NOT being willing to go the shock collar route. It's lazy to want to cause the dog pain instead of train him, and you never know what the dog will associate the sensation with. I've known of dogs who have been afraid to leave their porch due to an electric fence collar. And it's bound to increase anxiety. And you are correct that anxiety can increase aggression and destructive behaviors.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Nata-doglover

Post by Nata-doglover »

Thank you so much for ideas! I will try to promote the idea about sandbox.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Wait until he's doing something he really enjoys, then roll up a newspaper and smack him on the back of the head (your husband, not the dog.) :wink:

It might not be boredom or excess energy but a little anxiety that causes the digging. Digging, chewing and barking are self comforting acts for dogs. You might work on him with being alone for periods of time inside and outside of the house so that he can enjoy a little alone time without being destructive.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Husband might have time to build a pen for the dog so he can be outside in that :wink: no the dog no the husband. Over here we can buy ready-made pens that just slot into place, and then all you need is an undiggable floor and problem is fixed.

When you move again to your own home, section off an area where the dog is allowed to dig, and direct him there. When you are ready, ask here and we will give you detailsof how to do this. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nata-doglover

Post by Nata-doglover »

Oh, i am ready to learn now how to teach my dog to dig in a wring place. And ONLY there. Because right when we will move, i want to teach him that in our new house. So, please be free to share.

Thank you so much for ideas, people! I feel so much better now.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Labs are diggers, plain & simple... Shoot, my Eddie is half lab and loves to eat dirt. He has a favorite spot, no matter how much I fill it in, grass over it, stone over it, he "must" dig there and eat the dirt...

How did I stop him? By spending time with him and telling him no, then redirecting him. By letting him dig some where else...

Lastly, Labs need a lot of stimulation, both mental and physical... Three hours per day minimum of physical-exercise- and another hour or so of mental stimulation- playing, searching, puzzles, and yes, digging...If you have lake or pond near by, kill two birds with one stone and play fetch in the water! Thirty minutes of that and your dog will be calm, cool, collected for a few ours...... :wink:
Nata-doglover

Post by Nata-doglover »

Unfortunately, the only physical activity i can give to my lab is walking. He has a problem with his right leg, after he runs he start jumping on 3 legs. Veterinarians told that they cant find anything wrong. It doesnt hurt him at all, looks like spazm or something. So, his physical activity is limited. Before i used to take him to the dog park and after 1 hour had a perfect dog. Now no matter how much i walk him, its not enough. He needs to run. Oh ,God! So i will work with him on his digging problem. See if we can get a sandbox. :-)
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

If you can't get a sandbox right away you might try putting some treats under an old blanket or a few raggedy towels piled up and see if he'll dig at that.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Nata, does your old boy like to swim? Is there a pond or lake somewhere nearby you can take him sometimes? Often, a good swim will help to tire a dog out as well as running, but without the stress on the skeleton/joints.
Nata-doglover

Post by Nata-doglover »

Unfortunately my boy ( whlo is 1 year old) doesnt like water. When he was a puppy he accidently fell into the pool and since then he doesnt want to come close to the water. Cant even give him a bath. very tricky thing, even with treats. So there is not much i can do to make him tired. :-(
Good blanket idea! Thanks.