Puppy Pulling on the Lead

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emma&Tess

Puppy Pulling on the Lead

Post by Emma&Tess »

Hi all

I have a very stubborn 4 1/2 month old German Shepherd puppy who pulls on the lead constantly.

Every day we go down to a park to let her have a play on a retractable long lead ( somtimes we let her off the lead but she is not very reliable yet) When she has used up some energy we change her lead to a normal short lead and go for a serious walk on the foot path. As soon as she pulls I stop and say 'easy' as soon as the lead is relaxed we move on. Somtimes she sits down but the lead is still tight. So I end up waiting for a minute till she finally gives up.We go two steps then she pulls again- so we stop for another minute. We have been working on this for over 2 weeks. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions. Should we be using a halti, gentle leader or harness.

thanks
Pawzk9

Re: Puppy Pulling on the Lead

Post by Pawzk9 »

Emma&Tess wrote:Hi all

I have a very stubborn 4 1/2 month old German Shepherd puppy who pulls on the lead constantly.

Every day we go down to a park to let her have a play on a retractable long lead ( somtimes we let her off the lead but she is not very reliable yet) When she has used up some energy we change her lead to a normal short lead and go for a serious walk on the foot path. As soon as she pulls I stop and say 'easy' as soon as the lead is relaxed we move on. Somtimes she sits down but the lead is still tight. So I end up waiting for a minute till she finally gives up.We go two steps then she pulls again- so we stop for another minute. We have been working on this for over 2 weeks. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions. Should we be using a halti, gentle leader or harness.

thanks
She doesn't sound stubborn. Just like she doesn't have the concept yet. One thing I've found useful is to ask the dog to check in before anything happens. In a doorway? Stop and wait for the dog to turn to you before you move on. That will make the dog more attentive if you stop on the trail. If being a tree isn't working, I think there's some good information about turning the opposite way in a sticky at the top of the page. If your dog wants to be out in front no matter which way you are headed, back up, so the dog is coming toward you. A high rate of reinforcement in a low distraction environment (and then upping the level of distraction gradually, and every time you have more distractions, you have more reinforcement) is very helpful. I prefer a harness, and if you can do a double ended leash - on two places on the harness, or on the harness and on the collar, using both hands like reins, it is much harder to pull against two points of contact than one. But mostly, you need to teach the dog to pay attention to where you are, and that pulling means you don't go forward, ever. No matter how long you wait. But I thinking the checking in will really help. Also, be sure you aren't making the leash tight yourself. And retractibles actually teach a dog to pull.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thanks for that pawzk9
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There is a sticky at the top of this section with lots of ideas on teaching a dog to walk on a loose lead, it will give you lots of ideas.

I prefer to have a long line to teach recall, there is no tension on the lines like there is with an extending lead. Dogs get use to the tension very quickly. My Greyhound won't leave my side if he is free or on a long line, he only feels safe on an extending lead. This is from his racing days, it took him quite some time to go and investigate with the extending lead on, now he loves to investigate but won't unless he has this on.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Thanks for the tips Mattie :)