My Furry Sleeping partners need evicting !!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Whitchick

My Furry Sleeping partners need evicting !!!

Post by Whitchick »

Hi All,
I was hoping for some help. I have two gorgeous terriers, Penny and Mia, apples of my eyes. And in true daft dog owner style, I have let them sleep on our bed since bringing them home, but..... I am now expecting twins and space in bed is at a premium and the girls are disturbing mine and hubbies sleep.

I've tried putting their beds in the room and making them sleep in them. Penny loves her bed anyway so happily goes to it. Mia completely ignores any instruction to get off the bed.... Anyway, the minute they think we are asleep, they are both back in with us in any case...

My question is this, should I crate them at night ? Is this safe and an advisable thing to do ? I cant shut them in another room because Mia suffers from seperation anxiety (she was a very disturbed rescue dog that we took in), and literally scrapes at the door and whines ALL Night if necessary..

Any advice would be SO welcome :?
Pawzk9

Re: My Furry Sleeping partners need evicting !!!

Post by Pawzk9 »

Whitchick wrote:Hi All,
I was hoping for some help. I have two gorgeous terriers, Penny and Mia, apples of my eyes. And in true daft dog owner style, I have let them sleep on our bed since bringing them home, but..... I am now expecting twins and space in bed is at a premium and the girls are disturbing mine and hubbies sleep.

I've tried putting their beds in the room and making them sleep in them. Penny loves her bed anyway so happily goes to it. Mia completely ignores any instruction to get off the bed.... Anyway, the minute they think we are asleep, they are both back in with us in any case...

My question is this, should I crate them at night ? Is this safe and an advisable thing to do ? I cant shut them in another room because Mia suffers from seperation anxiety (she was a very disturbed rescue dog that we took in), and literally scrapes at the door and whines ALL Night if necessary..

Any advice would be SO welcome :?
I would think that setting up crates in your bedroom would be a fine solution. Make sure they are used to the crates, and comfortable with them before you start crating them all night. I click the dogs for going into the crate for a treat, and also for waiting in there with the door open. We make a game out of finding the crate and going in. The biggest issue with crate training is that many people just put the dogs in there, and close the door, with no prep. I think being in the same room but in her own bed might actually help Mia's separation anxiety.
Sandy in OK
www.positivelycanine.com
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

You can also try bed gates and put them onto your bed to keep them off.
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
spydre

Post by spydre »

Right. Since they are used to being in your room, I would try any suggestion where they can both smell you and see you. Crates, those little pens without roofs, etc. It may take more getting used tofor you than for them, since they can see/hear/smell you, but with what you are carrying, you definitely do not need anything else hogging the bed!
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]