Ozzy is ill

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ozzy

Ozzy is ill

Post by Ozzy »

Hi folks ,ozzy is a jack russell cross and 10 days ago he swallowed a sock,didnt bring it back up and had to have a operation to remove it from his smal intestines, he was recovering well, gets his stitches out tomorrow,but had him at the vets yesterday as he now has "colitis", has anyone had any expirience at this,i am doing as directed by the vet but would appriciate other peoples expiriences,do you think its as a result of what he has been through?or something seperate?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Colitis, directly translated, means "inflammation of the colon." Some humans actually have chronic colitiis-- very painful, but not necessarily life-threatening, in most cases-- but that's in humans.

For your doggy, it most definitely is a post-op complication. However, trust your vet knows exactly how to handle it, and was most likely expecting it to occur! As long as you continue to follow vet's instructions to the letter, you doggy is likely to recover. It may take him a week or two, but I'm wagering he's going to make a full recovery. :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

All the best for Ozzie and )))))))))HUGS((((((( for you, but remember JRTs are tough and I'm sure he'll soon be better.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am pleased that Ozzie is recovering, one of mine Bonnie sometimes has Colitis if she eats something she doesn't. I feed my dogs a sensitive complete food which my vet has said is also good for Colitis even though he recommends Hills Science for this, he had to admit that Burgess Sensitive was just as good. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Thanks for the replies ,its always nice to hear other peoples expiriences and how they deal with things ,ozzy is on "bland food " and has still got his appetite and drinks well,tail is up on very short walks about 3-4 mins then its back for a lie down, we have been to the pet store to check out a muzzle for him as you will all know puppys pick up alsorts so from now on its a muzzle for him . The trauma is to much for me to take lol,he had injection at the vets and some tablets to take so hopefully few days and he should be a lot better .
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

What an ordeal for you both. glad Ozzy is on the mend.
My dog Dibby is prone to colitis and his diet is James Wellbeloved and wet food such as Naturediet. I have make sure he doesn't scavange etc especially chocolate crumbs.
Ali
gabriela

Post by gabriela »

When my dogs had some diarrhea, I mix one little package of Fortiflora (by purina) with their food. It has active cultures and promotes intestinal health and balance. And no more diarrhea. You can get it at any veterinarian office or at www.calvetsupply.com
It is not expensive.
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Quick update on ozzy,and thanks for the replys,had him at the vets was supposed toget stitches out yesterday,butwhen the vet saw him and listening to what we had to say, he decided to take hism temp. and it was high so the vet thought the dog had infection,so he took out the stitches and opened the wound up again and cleaned it out and stappeld him back up,give him an injection and some different tablets,and hey presto yesterday afternoon (12 hopurs later) we had a differnt dog,and today nearly back to normal brilliant recovery over night ,have an appointment on Monday touch wood everything should be good thanks all for your replys and help,it is good to talk and share expiriences cheers :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

So glad Ozzy is on the mend-- what a relief for you! Thanks for letting us know. :D
gabriela

Post by gabriela »

Good for him!!!!
Ozzy

Post by Ozzy »

Hi what do the members of the forum think about useing a muzzle of some type when ozzy is off the lead,to prevent this happening again,because of where we live ozzy spends quite a lot of time off the leader and really loves it ,and is no trouble at all to get him back on it,he leaves about 99% of everything you tell him to but its the odd time he doesnt leave things thats going to worry us,so we think maybe a muzzle !!
as a owner its been too traumatic to go through again for us and the dog views and ideas greatly appriciated.We dont want to keep him on the lead all the time .
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Take him into Pets at Home so you can fit a basket muzzle on him. You will need to get him used to it, I get my dogs used to these muzzles by sticking treats through the bars so the dog has to put his head into the muzzle. Just a few times now and then during the day.

Once the head is going in without a problem, I then lift the straps up behind the ears and let go. I gradually work up to fastening the strap then immediately undo it again.

It doesn't take long to get a dog used to a muzzle and well worth the effort, your dog will then accept the muzzle and be happy to wear it.

Don't use the fabric muzzles that fit on the nose, he can still pick up rubbish and eat it, if he does he won't be able to vomit it back again and it could kill him by the time you get the muzzle off. Basket muzzles are far safer.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]