Underground fences......

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

manda.sue

Underground fences......

Post by manda.sue »

I rent a house out in the country with about three acres of yard. My dog, being a very hyper breed, gets to run around off-leash with me in the yard. However, he has taken to "marking" the edge of the road where other dogs have been allowed to "mark" while walking by with their owners. Bjorn is an aussie mix who also loves to chase/run/deer out of our yard into the woods behind our house. In my area, this is a BIG no-no since their is a law allowing hunters to "take down" any animal, domestic or wild, that is running game. So, to the point, I do not have the money for adequate wood fencing for the yard. My landlord has had excellent luck with the underground fence he has for his SEVEN dogs! :shock: He suggested it to me saying it will stop dogs from chasing deer and venturing out on their own (even though I would never ever allow him outside unattended). I was just wondering if anyone had some feedback on the subject. I mean, the fence DOES shock the bejeepers out of them if the get too close, right? Please help!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Your easiest solution is to fence part of the yard. That's what I have at home. The dogs go out of the door and are in the fenced part (the rest of the garden is also fenced but not to quite such high quality).

Electric fences have their drawbacks, but I appreciate so does having your dog shot or run over. The main problems are that other dogs can come in and threaten your dog, or chase him out of his yard and he would be afraid to come back. Or that if sufficiently motivated he can go out, but is afraid of the shock so does not come back. The electric shock is delivered straight onto that part of the throat where the thyroid gland sits so may do damage in some dogs.

Some dogs are so macho that the shock means nothing to them, and others so sensitive that it shuts them down completely because they can't figure it out.

Any dog understands a fence.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The only really safe thing to do is to fence off just a small part of the yard with a standard, physical barrier.

For some dogs, an electric shock fence will keep them in - for some, unfortunately it wont, and you wont find that out until its too late, as its only seriously highly motivating triggers that will push a dog to cross the barrier and get the shock. Murphys law unfortunately dictates... you wont be there the day that happens!

When dogs see prey running around and breach the electric fence boundary and go off chasing, what DOESNT happen... is that the dog can come home. Because theres no huge motivation like chasing a deer, to lead them back through the painful barrier - so once out... they stay out.

We have also had reports of dogs fearful of leaving thier property at all once used to a fence system, regardless of whether the collar was on or off or whether they were on a leash with the owner there...

And also dogs who got shocked when the owner was near by and attribute the shock to the owner! (the same can apply to anything that takes the dogs attention as it gets the shock, and can quite quickly create a dog who is fearful of that trigger, which could be anything.. other dogs, horses, children, neighbours. Fear can quickly lead to aggression. )

These collars can also malfunction and continuously shock the dog and finally - everyones pain threshold is different, dogs included. What for one dog might be a slightly irritating sensation could have another on the floor screaming - even used 'as intended' without malfunctions or mishaps they can seriously hurt an animal.

For the same price (around $300 +) as that you could fence off a small area by the back door of your property so that your dog has an outside space to lay out in without being chained or loose. (Unless the US prices for a few posts and some wire stock fencing are seriously loopy.. because it cost me just about £200 to fence three sides of my garden only recently).

Fencing does not have to be 9ft tall and solid either - in fact unless you have a tiny little dog who can fit through small gaps, well strained stock fencing (giant wire 'mesh' used commonly in the uk for fencing in sheep) fixed to around 5ft will do nicely. Dogs do NOT like to jump wire, they find it really hard to judge the height of it and if you put in an overhang, they are totally scuppered.
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

I disagree with both above posts. If you train the dog PROPERLY, there is no reason they should EVER leave the yard. None of my dogs, including my abused rescue dog, attribute the shock to me.

If you are going to do it, you MUST go to a professional though. I highly discourage doing it yourself. I use Dog Watch. They will help you train the dog, offer a lifetime warranty and come out if there is ever a problem. You must follow through with the training.

I've never had a problem with the invisible fence in the 4 years I've had it. No issues with dogs coming in or my dogs leaving.
[img]http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/thelifeofriley3/newsignature_edited-1.jpg[/img]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You are lucky then arent you.

In the UK of course you wouldnt even have been permitted to take on rescue dogs if you intended to use this fence system with them.

What happens when someone new moves into the area with a dog who runs around loose and comes onto your property harrassing your dogs?

Sorry - but training using pain and fear is not appropriate and advising the use of such things is not welcome on this forum.

There are other methods that dont run the risks that electric fence systems do, and dont rely on on pain to work, and these have been advised.
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

I know you don't support the electric type of wireless or underground fencing, but what if that is your ONLY alternative. In my situation putting up a fence was a flat out NO from the folks that own my place - they load/unload horses from my yard and so a physical fence can not be there, and with the size of the horse vans and some tractor trailor type vehicles and occasionaly the number of horses that are sometimes in my yard I can see why it is NOT possible, which is why I use the wireless fencing. With proper training I don't think a dog even needs to use the shock option, I have trained mine (well, still working with Teddy) to the beep only and the flags. My system has the option for a beep only mode so there is no shock correction, they only hear a sound. My dogs are with me during the day when I work anyways, so the only time we are in the yard is in the evenings.

I have heard horror stories of people not having their dogs trained properly to this type of fencing and using the shock correction, so without proper training and/or if the system fails, I can see where this wouldn't be a good choice if other alternatives are possible.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its pretty simple really - my dogs were not out off lead in the days when I lived where I couldnt have a securely fenced garden.

We managed (with multiple dogs) for 6 years like that without ever once having to resort to electric shocks to keep them contained.

They were taken to safe places to exercise off the lead, and I used a 30ft lead for them to toilet/stretch legs at home.

Seriously - if i lived somewhere I couldnt fence, i would do what I have done before, or choose between living in that place, or owning dogs. To my mind if you have to resort to that sort of method, its not a suitable place to own dogs.
griffin

Post by griffin »

mj702002 wrote:I know you don't support the electric type of wireless or underground fencing, but what if that is your ONLY alternative.
It is NOT the only alternative... For relatively low costs, you an get rope with tensile and pull strengths that far out "muscle" your dog. They come in all types of lengths. I just got one that is 100' long for my 85 pound Sheppard/Lab mix, I use it when we go out to a local park, both for training and to obey the leash laws in my County.

How much did it cost? $11.39 + tax. It is a safety rope for rock climbing, and yes, he can pull, but has not even come close to breaking this rope.

You can even go with a runner-metal inner core, plastic covering, that are 35'-100' long. Put a sound stake in the ground, deep and your dog can be outside, safely. They too are inexpensive...

Electric shock is not the only way nor, in my opinion a good way. Yes, I know several people who used them, they no longer do because we had to retrieve their dogs, well trained, but prey driven....

Oh and yes, as Emma said, you can always be active, like people who live in apartments, flats, etc and WALK your dog.
manda.sue

Post by manda.sue »

The pup and I do walk every day. We go for a two-mile walk in the morning before work, and once when I get home from work. I do appreciate the advice from everyone. I honestly wasn't too keen on the underground fencing. I just didn't know what options I had since the landlord said no to an actual fence. Bjorn and I are fine in the backyard playing frisbee and splashing in his pool. It's just when the deer or neighbor's cat come that he turns into Mr. Hyde-have-to-chase-or-I'll-die-cuz-I'm-a-psycho-chaser. :lol: It is in his blood to want to do this. On a high note, he has become most excellent with the "watch me" technique. I'm just scared to try it when we're out with the deer. I'm afraid he might be set back if he fails to acknowledge it. Help?
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Mine do not receive a shock they hear beeps only and have the little white flags around the border. I do have a rope, problem is - getting tangled around the trees in the yard. Mine are able to go with me while I work (on a farm) so they are away from the house "working" with me approximately 7 hours a day. We are in the yard off and on in the evening.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

springermomx3 wrote:I disagree with both above posts. If you train the dog PROPERLY, there is no reason they should EVER leave the yard. None of my dogs, including my abused rescue dog, attribute the shock to me.

Contact Karen Peak at www.westwinddogtrain.com, she is a very good trainer/behaviourist in the USA and ask her opinion of these fences. She has had to assess dogs that ran through these fences and attacked either people or other dogs.

It is impossible to be 100% sure of a dog because they can think for themselves and if they think something is worth it they will run through the electric fence to get what they want but they can't get back in because the reason they ran out has gone.

There are also cases of other animals getting in and attacking your dog or any other animals you have, this is happening, it isn't just stories.

For your dog's safety, put a fence round an area you can afford to fence off, don't trust to these fences, if you dog thinks something is good enough no matter how much training he has had he will run through the fence.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]