Regarding VIctoria's Separation Anxiety training

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

[quote="Feathers"]

VS book and a lot in her shows says that you have to be the leader and I think that is what was meant by Em's "pack leader" and not what usually comes to mind when we hear pack leader the dominance training.

Thanks Feathers that was exactly what I meant. :)
Paul&Muttley

Post by Paul&Muttley »

I found this article that seems to address the confusion between fear-based training techniques, which are identified as inhumane and dangerous, and overly permissive techniques that allow the dog to assume an inappropriate leadership role which is likewise ineffective and likely to cause problems:
http://www.dogwhisper.com/12-09-2003_dogbite.pdf

Do not be fooled by the "dogwhisper" title, as this is not about CM. This is an article by a respected PHD with 45 years experience in canine psychology, and I think he would find merit in the techniques of both CM and Victoria Stilwell. But I think many staunch advocates and vehement antagonists of either often concentrate on minor differences and their own adopted dogma rather than recognizing the huge amount of common ground and good common sense embraced by both.

I don't know if that applies directly to this problem of SA. But the article does point out that a dog who does not respect his human, and either submits to him or her only out of fear, or has been allowed to control its environment without having clear limits set and consistently enforced, loses respect for humans in general, and may express aggression or destructive behavior when given the opportunity.

This is similar to the phenomenon that was pioneered by Dr Benjamin Spock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Spock and then taken to extremes of permissiveness which he never advocated. He urged mothers to rely on their instincts and treat their children as individuals, in a loving manner, but still given clear limits and appropriate discipline and leadership. These principles are also valid for dogs.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't personally think that SA is anything to do with aggression or destructive behaviour. If a dog with SA displays destructive behaviour, it is nothing to do with the human family and everything to do with the dog. When stress hormones are released, the only way to dissipate them - for dogs and people - is physical action. The toddler lies on the floor kicking and screaming, and the dog rips the sofa part.

It is not done out of aggression or spite.

Sometimes you see what Ian Dunbar calls "Separation Fun" which is a whole lot different from the dog that is destructive through fear. The "fun" dog is bored and understimulated, and has a whale of a time while the ownr is away, seeking amusement. The results are similar but the causes are different.

The reason I dislike the application of "pack rules" - as distinct from the benign leadership/guidance Fundog mentions - is that the SA dog (not the SF dog) is distressed because it is on its own, not because it doesn't know its place in a mythical pack. I know people who are scared to be on their own in a house also, but they have outlets that a dog does not.

SA is very difficult to manage - one of the most difficult behaviours, I think - because the root is in the dog and not in its environment, and because the main part of the behaviour takes place when the dog is alone.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS