Snapping in the face

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Snapping in the face

Post by wvvdiup1 »

My neighbor has this German Shepherd/Pit Bull dog named Roxy that comes over to greet any one on my property. That part doesn't bother me at all, however, when she goes to greet me, she jumps up at me and snaps me in the face! First, I thought it might be my glasses, but she still does it when I'm not wearing my glasses! Does anyone have any suggestions to what else I could do?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

When you see her approaching, bend over or kneel, so that you can greet her with a hug while all four of her paws are still on the ground. Move your face to where she can't reach it with her mouth-- either press your cheek on the top of her head, or neck, or just keep averting your face from side-to-side, out of reach. It won't take long before this new form of greeting becomes a special custom for just the two of you, and she will learn that you don't like these types of "kisses" (?).
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't take that risk. Not having seen the interaction described, there is no way I'd get my face in the line of fire.

Does the dog 'sit' on command? If so, get her to sit and then fuss her. The instant she lifts a paw off the ground, stop the fuss and make her sit again.

GSDs and Pits are each very trainable dogs buit they need direction - they can't guess what we want.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just to add - absolutely do not hug her or pat her head. Ideally, greet by stroking her chest, and if she offers her head, stroking that is okay, but don't pat or slap, and be quiet and soft-voiced rather than excited-voiced.

Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I agree I wouldn't put my face down there either, even though it does seem she simply wants some face contact. Intent is not the point here, but most dogs do NOT like hugs...it is not good "doggy manners" and can be misinterpreted.

I would, watch for the "prejump" and then simply turn around, continuing until she sits and THEN calmy pet her and tell her good girl. She has not been taught her greeting manners and it is pretty easy to do. No attention until four on the floor.

Just as an aside...shepherds are notorious "jaw snappers", especially when young..throwing their heads around snapping at the air or whatever simply because they are excited. Make the greetings low key and pet on the chest, shoulders instead of around the face and this should eventually lessen.

Also...is there a reason this dog is not contained on a leash or in a yard? As much as I would love to be greeted with happiness by every dog out there not everyone feels the same way. It could be putting this dog at risk of being reported to animal control as being "not under control"...not fair to the dog who is obviously being friendly...but responsible owners regardless of the dogs temperament have their dogs leashed or contained when outside.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Cracker wrote: but most dogs do NOT like hugs...it is not good "doggy manners" and can be misinterpreted.
Gosh, I didn't know that-- my dogs seem to enjoy hugs, and will even return the gesture with a lick to your nose. In fact, I don't recall meeting a dog that did not respond positively to a hug. Maybe dogs are just weird in my part of the world.

On the other hand, maybe I hug differently: I reach my arm over the dog's back, and pat the rib cage on the opposite side-- the side farthest from me. Then I reach that same hand along the ribcage and under the belly, to give a standing-up belly rub. I have my other hand either across the dog's chest, or under the chin, and even between the front legs, stroking the throat and chest. That's the way I hug a dog. How does everyone else do it?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Hugging the way humans hug is considered rude in the dog world and most dogs will only tolerate it from their own humans and no one else. The "hug" you're describing is more of a belly rub.

The rude hugs that folks are talking about here are the kind that look like a human hug - say you're face-to-face with the dog who is in a sit position and and you wrap your arms around the dog's neck, or if you're sitting side-by-side and you put your arm around the dog's shoulder.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, hugging is a simian thing and not welcome in the dog world - when dogs are testing other dogs for status, a leg or chin over the back is a really rude challenge.

Our own dogs learn that hugs from us are something that pleases us, and so they tolerate it - the lick says, "I know you mean no harm and I love you too". But hugging a strange dog, or a nervous one, or one that feels off for some reason, is the number one reason why so many people, especially children, get bitten in the face.

Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I often see teenage dogs put their leg on older dogs' backs at the dog park and boy do they learn their lesson from the older dogs but quick!

Digression... Murphy once tried to put his paw on the back of a 6-year-old pit we met on our walk when he was just 10 months old and the older dog responded appropriately but his owner punched him on top of the head for it. :x
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I meant that the pit's owner punched his dog, not mine. Either way, no good.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think some dogs who are a mix of nervous/insecure but also want to be loved/affectionate with people, will rush over, jump up..... and then attempt to lick faces or even do little snappy snaps like a pup sussing out a grown up auntie... will you feed me? or kick my ***? or accept my submission? or play with me...

Its a mixed message though and that says to me that the dog is not really sure what to do/what to expect.

I definately wouldnt hug a strange dog and id encourage this one, kindly to keep all its paws on the floor.

Funnily enough though, little Dilly dog gives 'people cuddles' and seemingly loves to do so... he offers them though.

He does both kinds, the face to face, paws on shoulders type (and hes not that interested in face licking), and will stay in that position as long as you let him, preferably with your arms around his shoulders/body quite firmly..

And sat on the sofa he will lean on you until you put your arm around his shoulders, then he slowly slithers down and upside down until hes on his back with his head/shoulders in your lap.

He IS a mixed up funny sort of a boy, never matured into an adult dog and does love being physically close to people. He also has a whole host of phobias and insecurities... so what he finds normal and nice I wouldnt apply to the rest of dogkind!
shelby

Post by shelby »

emmabeth, my boy Gabe loves people cuddles too. If I'm sitting on the couch he'll sit next to me and push his nose under my arm until it's around his shoulders. He also loves to lay on his back with his head on my shoulder. It's pretty freaking cute.