She's eaten a chocolate!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

RoddyB

She's eaten a chocolate!

Post by RoddyB »

Hi,
My dog has helped herself to a Lindor chocolate (singular) whilst I was upstairs getting ready for work this morning (foil and all) and I'm a bit worried as I know chocolate is toxic to dogs.
I am at work now, but should I take her to the vet when I get home or am I being an overprotective 'mum'?
Many thanks in advance, best wishes
RoddyB
loza123

eating chocolate

Post by loza123 »

Hi

I feel that the chocolate wont hurt your dog but make sure your dog can’t get any more. Chocolate is poison to dogs as it has a chemical in it that we can digest but dogs can’t also in VERY VERY RARE times it can kill. I would say don’t let her get any more, but some people see it as a treat for being good but don’t know the risks involved. Also they are special made doggy chocolate WITHOUT the chemical in it that is fine for your dog to eat and you can get it from pet shop. But also if any one watch the episode of the fat dogs Victoria says that only 7 grams of dark chocolate is harmful which is only 2 squares and even I must admit I did used to feed my dog chocolate but now I feed him the “doggy chocolateâ€
RoddyB

Post by RoddyB »

Hi Lauren,
No, I've never fed her chocolate, dog or human and I don't intend to, it's just I was worried as she helped herself whilst my back was turned.
If she'd have eaten more than one, I prob would have taken the morning off work to take her to the vet.
Am just waiting to see if she poos a piece of red foil....!!
Thanks
Roddy
leigh

Post by leigh »

don't quote me, but I have heard that if a dog does consume human chocolate, it needs to vomit , and then consume activated charcoal, which soaks up the toxin.

My dog is only 5.8kg, so a small amount of chocolate would be quite toxic - so if she ate 1 lindt ball, I would take her to the vet straight away. If you leave it too long, you need to look out for seizure and coma.

Hope your dog was ok! - I always say it's better to be safe than sorry. My pup chewed a morphine capsule when she was only 6 months old (don't know how she managed to get hold of it - all drugs are now locked in a cupboard, we learnt out lesson quickly!) - and I took her to the vet immediately- she vomited on the way, and the vet said all he would have done was make her vomit, but as she'd already done that, he monitored her for a while, and she was fine. Cost me a consultation visit, when the vet himself didn't do anything! lol. But better to be safe.