post-neuturing issues

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sar-83

post-neuturing issues

Post by sar-83 »

My bf and I have a 7 month old Springer Spaniel. We just got him neutured 1 week ago. Since he has been neutured he has become impossible to manage. He doesn't go by the door to let us know he has to go outside, he will not sit or stay for us, and he is not listening to us when we say something to him (he just ignores us). Also he has been biting us. He did all these things very well for us before hand. I guess I am just wondering if this is normal. We think he is mad at us for taking away his manhood.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Since it was so recently done, your first recourse should be a post-op check up with the vet, to make sure there is no sign of infection or any other post-surgical complications that can come about.

Dogs don't really have a sense of "manhood" or it being taken away. However, it is possible that he could be suffering from a blow to his self-esteem/confidence, seeing that this was done just when he's entering adolesence, so the sudden drop in testosterone, after first experiencing a sudden surge, could cause some insecurity.

And unless you actually visited him at the clinic while he was still recovering from his surgery, he most likely was not even able to make the association between you and his discomfort, and so cannot "blame" you for "doing this to him."

Get a post-op check with the vet to rule out any medical complications, and then we can try to sort out the behavior/confidence problems.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

As Fundog says, back to the vets for a check-up, this must always be the first thing if there are problems.

Your pup has just been through quite a stressful time and will be feeling very sore, many dogs will change until they settle down. Take him back to basics and retrain him, he may just need a reminder. Take him outside so you can praise him when he goes at regular times, if he does go inside, put him outside before you clean up.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]