Dog Trainer/Behaviorist in the Bay Area/San Francisco, CA?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mocha's mom

Dog Trainer/Behaviorist in the Bay Area/San Francisco, CA?

Post by Mocha's mom »

I am new to the forum and need some help in finding a great dog trainer/behaviorist. I had taken my dog to an obedience school but I have been corresponding with the trainer and she feels that a personal trainer would work better for our dog, Mocha. (He gets nervous around strangers and barks-growls his head off at some even when aren't paying attention to him. We have also moved from a smaller city to a bigger one, this absolutely freaks him out!

The trainer is great and has offered to help with a few names but I want to do my homework before I jump into anything...
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

Any suggestions?? I've check the apdt website but I was wondering if anyone has had first hand experiences with any of the trainers....
whitesam

Trainers in the S.F. area

Post by whitesam »

San Francisco covers a large area, but you might try siriuspup.com (they are all trained using Ian Dunbar's positive techniques), SFASPCA has many notable trainers (Jean Donaldson came from there), and Laurafordogs.com (Laura is experienced & also trains using positive techniques). I personally have seen Laura work w/ dogs & think she is very capable,in fact she trained a lot of the trainers for Sirius while she worked there.

I always try to arrange to watch a trainer teaching a class before deciding to see if their personality & communicating styles would work for me as well as my dog. Laura tends to be Type A which might be overwhelming to some people.

Hope you find someone you like. If you aren't familiar w/ Ian Dunbar, he has some books published.