Highly reactive/anxious dog... Please help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mocha's mom

Highly reactive/anxious dog... Please help!

Post by Mocha's mom »

I have a cocker spaniel who is about 19 months old. We moved from Colorado to California about a year back and things have changed drastically. He was a very happy-go-lucky puppy. He loved meeting new people and dogs. We lived in downtown so he was used to all the hustle bustle.. fire engines, buses, people walking by... basically everything! Once we moved here his personality has completely changed! He barks at anyone walking by our apartment, when doors shut outside our apartment, when out on walks he will bark-growl at strangers and then try and run up to them. It's almost like he wants to meet them but he isn't sure about it. I understand that when strangers reach out to a dog it can be scary for them. He will find strange objects on the road and bark at them... I've tried to block his view by standing in front of him, distracting him, trying to walk away... but he has learned to outsmart me. When he puts his mind onto something there is no budging.. he will just stand there fixated on the person/object.. It's just sad because he used to be so happy... I am currently taking him for obedience classes but even the trainer doesn't seem to have the answers.. We really need your help... PLEASE!!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My Annie (and now Dottie too) gets a little "funny" sometimes about stuff she's unfamiliar with-- say caution tape flapping in the wind, a cardboard box sitting in the shadows, or even our own shadows, lol! She doesn't bark at it, but she will go on "alert" and sometimes she might even give out a couple of "huff" sounds. When she does this, I say, "Oh-- what is that? Let's go see." And then we approach cautiously, and I shine my flashlight on it (we walk at night), and let her sniff it. Once she is satisfied, we move on. This technique goes a long way in allaying her fears and making her feel more at ease. With people it's a different story, since I make it a policy to avoid strangers, especially at night (you just can't be too careful in this day and age). But if it's someone I know or trust, I might offer an exaggeratedly friendly greeting, including touching my friend's arm or shaking his hand to let my dog know the person is "okay." This seems to work for her-- kind of the human equivalent of butt-sniffing, lol.
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

Thanks for your reply Fundog...

Well... that's exactly what I do with stuff... I encourage him to look at it.. let him sniff it... paw at it... if he seems to still be frightened, I throw treats around the thing to bring him closer and encourage him to discover the item... Sometimes he even barks at our tower fan, eventhough it has been lying around forever!!!!

And you are right... somewhere he senses when close people walk in... because he takes up to them immediately!

I understand that he needs to watch out for me when out. But I want to be able to tell him to keep quiet when needed. I am OK with him not loving strangers.. but I want him to be calm around them. I just want to be able to sit outside a cafe and sip coffee without him barking and everyone!

Any suggestions??
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

Thanks for your reply Fundog...

Well... that's exactly what I do with stuff... I encourage him to look at it.. let him sniff it... paw at it... if he seems to still be frightened, I throw treats around the thing to bring him closer and encourage him to discover the item... Sometimes he even barks at our tower fan, eventhough it has been lying around forever!!!!

And you are right... somewhere he senses when close people walk in... because he takes up to them immediately!

I understand that he needs to watch out for me when out. But I want to be able to tell him to keep quiet when needed. I am OK with him not loving strangers.. but I want him to be calm around them. I just want to be able to sit outside a cafe and sip coffee without him barking and everyone!

Any suggestions??
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I do know what you mean-- not everyone using the park, for example, is a threat. When we are walking past a group of guys playing basketball, or some daddies watching their babies, I am paying very close attention to Annie's body language. To start with, I first check my own biological response: I take a deep cleansing breath, and see to it that no tension is vibrating the leash. I watch Annie's body-- being a bird dog, (she's a springer spaniel), she has a characteristic way of pointing, or showing alert-- when these cues manifest, it is not too late to give a calming command, such as, "It's okay, just come along," or even just say a very quiet "no" with a slight tug and release on the lead-- the equivalent to a squeeze on the shoulder. If we can make it past the men (or in your case, if the pedestrian can make it past you) without barking or lunging, she gets praise. Sometimes I am able to give the calming command even before she goes on alert-- in this case, rather than necessarily giving a re-direct, I actually praise her for how she is at that very moment-- being calm. And I continue to praise her all the way past the men, "Good job, Annie. You're doing sooo well!" The same techniques are working on Dottie now as well. :D
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

I get what you're saying... but sometimes it's just too late! I will try and praise him with every opportunity I get though... Now when I go for a walk with Mocha and the regular walkers are also around, they actually clear the pavement when they see us! They are terrified of him! On one hand it's funny but so not funny, if you know what I mean. The strange part is that when he is not on the leash, he will meet and greet everyone!!!! I feel that at the dog park he atleast knows that he can run if something goes wrong but not when he's on the leash. He hates it when I pet another dog or go out of his view.. he will bark at strangers walking past our car when I am in it but not when my husband is sitting with him. Is this a trust issue? Or is it that he is possesive of me? We just spoke with our obedience trainer and she has advised that we see a behaviorist. Initially we thought that he has low confidence levels but apparently it is more than just that....

Sorry for rambling.. it's just upsetting sometimes... I've just submitted an online application for the show.. keeping my finers crossed! ;)
joji732

scaredy dog

Post by joji732 »

One technique my trainer suggested for use with my scaredy dog is this - when you come across an object in the street that makes him stop and bark, make fun of it. I have my dog on an extendable lead, so he can stay behind while I walk up to the object. Then I'll do something silly like knock on it and laugh. Having seen that I think it's okay, he is more willing to explore. I wasn't sure the technique would work, but I tried it yesterday with a big propane tank that had been delivered to the parking lot of the fitness center in my community (which is under construction). It didn't take long at all for him to decide he could walk up to it and sniff it!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I've been working with my dog on his reactivity for a few months now and we've FINALLY gotten to the point where he can sniff something without lunging at a person crossing our path on the sidewalk. He's actually looked up at the person then went back to sniffing! It was a tiny miracle, because he used to sniff and then when the person was a few feet away, he would stiffen and lunge without looking up first (took 2 seconds, it was hard to notice if you weren't really paying attention).

From reading lots of threads on this board over several weeks I've been able to put together a game plan for management and prevention, along with desensitization tools. Through trial and error I've been able to find the right "level" treats (meat based baby food or tuna smashed into a small jar he can lick from) and his threshold (how far/close the "trigger" can be without a reaction) and work with him that way. I found that just about everything I learned by doing tons of research on this board and everywhere else I could online is all condensed into Patricia McConnell's "The Cautious Canine". I highly recommend it.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/produc ... ining-book

As I said, I did tons of research online but I bought this book and found that I already got all the information in it! But to save you all the research, I recommend this book. I've been working with my dog for nearly five months and our progress has been wonderful. It's not an overnight solution and it will be several months of trial and error, setbacks, etc., but you'll get there.

Another thing to consider... With the stress of moving plus his age (adolesence), it might be a fear stage. Read Mattie's post about puppy stages, it might apply to your own dog.

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1981

Best of luck!
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

Firstly, I really want to thank everyone for their inputs and helping me out with Mocha...

joji: Thank you so much for sharing... I will try the extendable leash thing with Mocha... I tried the laughing thing at home today when he was barking at the tower fan.. The minute I laughed at it.. he took his eyes off the tower fan immediately and looked at me in amazement... Almost like you think this is funny woman?? :lol:

Noob: I have read Patricia McConnell's Cautious Canine and it is really really helpful.. My only problem with that was that after he got used to being treated for a passerby... the minute he would see someone walk to us, he would lie down in the middle of the pavement and not budge... and the minute the person started getting closer he would get into the stiff mode again... But you know I did try it again with him this morning and it did work to a certain extent... I guess his main problem is with men... with women he is wonderful!!! I think I need to get a hold of someone who is willing to go on to the next level.. Someone who will not confront him but keep throwing treats at him so he knows that strangers are good!

I will keep exchanging notes with you guys. I am meeting with the obedience trainer this Saturday.. She might come up with something that can be useful to us...
Mocha's mom

Re: Highly reactive/anxious dog... Please help!

Post by Mocha's mom »

I had posted on the forum a while back for some help and a lot has changed since then, except for Mocha. I'm back on the forum looking for some help and encouragement.

I've been constantly working with Mocha on his fear issues. It started with strange objects (which he has mostly recovered from) and it has now moved on to men! He doesn't let a strange man even close to us. This makes it extremely difficult for me, since I live in an apartment complex. I try and take him down during the non-busy times, because I don't want him to get agitated. We finally decided to put him on Clomicalm. He gets 1 tablet in the morning and half a tablet at night. The Clomicalm also doesn't really seem to help him at this time. He has too many bad days and very few good days. The behaviorist that I'm working with has recommended that I try a bit of Xanax with the Clomicalm. I checked with my vet and he said that there is no material that says that the two don't go together. I've still not picked up the meds because I'm just too apprehensive. I don't want to make a wrong move...

I honestly don't know what to do and I feel like I've failed him!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Can he see properly? Sometimes dogs can get frightened at familiar objects if their sight is going, I would have a full vet check including having his eyes tested.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

We've gotten a full body check done, but not the eyes. I used to think that it could be thyroid, but that wasn't the case either. You're right! I will have his eyes checked out. Thank you..

Do you think Clomicalm and Xanax is a route to go? He is strange.. sometimes he will go meet people all by himself and then sometimes he will just bark and lunge at them. So now it gets me confused.. I'm currently reading The other end of the Leash and it's extremely informative!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm not at all happy with using drugs until every other avenue has been exhausted. You're a long way off that yet. Take heart - lots of little successes build up to the big one.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mocha's mom

Post by Mocha's mom »

Nettle, I'm not a big fan of medicating either. I was asked to put him on Prozac almost a year back and I had refused. I thought that we could do it the right way and we would overcome it. I live in an apartment complex and sometimes people don't understand! I don't blame them, because I'm sure it freaks them out. I'm still going to hold off on the Xanax. I just ordered for a Thunder shirt. I know there won't be any overnight miracles, but I'm hoping that one day there will be one!

Thank you everyone for their comments and suggestions..
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Mocha's mom wrote: I know there won't be any overnight miracles, but I'm hoping that one day there will be one!
No, no overnight miracles, but I believe it's nettles or mattie who always says "slow and steady wins the race" and its a good saying to keep in mind. you will have ups and down, but suddenly 2 or 3 months from now it will dawn on you ALL the progress you made.

I have a nervous and somewhat fearful dog, he acts out rather then closes down. At his peak before I started using a harness I thought he was going to snap his own neck with all his thrashing and lunging at other dogs while on leash. about middle of last month it occurred to me I hadn't seen that intensity in weeks. progress was being made. Last week after 3 months of work, we had 3 days in a row with no reaction to other dogs, people, cats, ducks, bird etc. Day 4, he started reacting again. So it's back things off a little and work our way back up. But back in January I could not imagine 1 encounter passing a dog without a scene, let alone 3 days of basically no reaction.

it really is like noobs says, you have to research the various ways to address your dog's issues, then try them out, find which combination of ideas and technics work for you and your dog. And like Noobs I also have relied mostly on Patricia's books and this forum. I did find a excellent trainer/behaviorist and I as able to spring for a few sessions and that helped also. Just be absolutely sure any trainer/behaviorist you check out doesn't write off any undesirable behavior or fear as "dominate" or "challenging you". If they talk like that, walk way FAST.