Barking In the Night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zoe Jane

Barking In the Night

Post by Zoe Jane »

Help I am now at the end of my tether. I have 1 x Beagle (female) age 9, 2x Bijons (Male) one aged nearly 3 and one 2 in September. The Bijons are related. They all sleep together. The youngest Bijon starts barking early in the morning and it is now getting earlier and earlier, this morning 4.40am!!!! I let them out and them put them back in their bed, go up stairs and ten minutes later it starts again. Is it a case of persivering and keep putting them back in their room until they realise they are not going to be let out and up on my bed!!!!

Also, I have to put paper down, there is often a poo there (not sure from which one but I think the yougest one) and one of the boys is spraying. I had no problems until I got the yougest one.

I have now got to the point where I don't know what to do. My partner says that we should just let them sleep in our room. I don't want this, I am worried they may wee/poo/spray there so again I wont be able to sleep and secondly I don't think they should.

Someone ...............please any ideas would be great.

Regards

Zoe.
:( :?:
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

If a behaviour is being maintained or increased it has been reinforced.

My guess is that letting them out is reinforcing the barking.

The good news is that by not letting them out, the barking will eventually stop.

The bad news is that it will get worse before it gets better. But be strong, if they bark so much you feel compelled to let them out you will make the barking even stronger and more resistant to extinction.

Neuter any males you do not plan to breed with, and crate train all 3 dogs. They should definitely be house-trained by now and crate training will totally eliminate any soiling in the house during the night - provided the crate is the right size.
Regards,
Aidan
http://www.PositivePetzine.com
Fab_lab

Post by Fab_lab »

my jack russell started barking in the middle of the night (2am) the first 2 night i got up and let him out . He kept on for a week til I put his crate in a darker room . He barked for 1 more night but I did not get up to him and after that it seemed to have worked .
I moved him from the kitchen to the living room
TaylorMamas

Post by TaylorMamas »

I totally agree with the reinforcing behaviour suggestion and have a perfect example to illustrate. Our lab used to be allowed upstairs to the bedroom and then we decided to get a pet stairgate to stop him and the first few days he whimpered everytime we came upstairs and left him down. One day the door was open and he was crying so my OH went to the door and told him it was ok, he stopped crying, she moved away, he started, she went back to the door, he stopped, she moved away, he started etc. So we decided to ignore the whimpering and made a concerted effort to wait until all noise had stopped before going back down. It has pretty much stopped completely now and he understands that quiet is good behaviour and good behaviour is rewarded with seeing us again. He even waits at the bottom when the stairgate is open now.

Don't think I can help on the toilet training/spraying issue as we only have one dog and not sure how the new addition will have impacted this.