EXCITED GREETINGS

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

brimfield225

EXCITED GREETINGS

Post by brimfield225 »

HI THERE
We have a 16 month old Golden... she has done very well in her classes and home training except for.......jumping on people. She never tries to nip or bite, just tries to knock them down. After she has been around them for several minutes, she will calm down. The initial arrival is tough on visitors.
Any Ideas?????????????????????????
Thanks
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I used the search feature because this topic comes up a lot, and found a thread that talks about that here:

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3099

I use the turn and ignore method ckranz talked about in the above thread. My dog generally doesn't jump on me unless he gets too excited but I tell my guests do it and it works. Eventually the dog gets that 4 paws on the ground means attention and jumping means he gets nothing.
danaleigh

Post by danaleigh »

After the initial knock at the door, when my dog announces visitors, I make him move back from the door. He was a jumper, but I snapped my fingers, and said 'down' firmly. In the beginning, I used Victoria's method of asking my guest to turn from him and ignore him, until he began to understand that the fingersnap and 'down' command were what he needed to listen to. Then, I told my guest to turn around and acknowledge him for being a good dog and staying down. That took all of a week, and now he never jumps on incoming guests.
horsefreak88

Post by horsefreak88 »

I've had the same problem with my 10 month old GSD, Annie. The best thing I have found to do is to simply ignore her when she tries to jump up. I completely understand how difficult it can be when you have a large dog jumping up on you....it hurts! To help keep myself from instinctively pushing her away, I've learned to cross my arms and turn my back to her. This method has worked better than anything else for us...she rarely jumps up these days. Now if I could just get the hubby to follow up with the same method consistently :wink:

As far as guests coming over, that can be more difficult. For us, we rarely have guests over, so I've started making it a point to have friends over just to work with Annie. When somebody rings the doorbell or knocks on the door (I like to practice with both), I have her sit a good distance away from the door and tell her to "wait." If at any point Annie breaks her sit (perhaps while I'm opening the door, or when the guest enters the house) I have the guest go back outside, I close the door and we start over. Once the guest is in the house, I close the door, and tell Annie "ok, say hi" and then she greets the guest. The amount of self-control it takes on her part to "wait" while a guest enters the house seems to greatly reduce the chance of her jumping up on a guest. If, by chance, she tries to jump up on somebody, I've already had them prepped to simply ignore her and to only give attention on their terms when she has all four paws on the floor. We still have a ways to go on this, but she has certainly come a long way.
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

When she jumps up try turning your back on her. The minute she stops jumping and sits down reward her. Repeat this exercise lots of times.