dog eating cat poo

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

swanny5

dog eating cat poo

Post by swanny5 »

Last summer I rescued a dog from a kill shelter and rehabilitated her. She is now happy an living in her new home. While we recently discussed how well she is doing, they mentioned she is eating cat poo. (most likely out of the litter box) and asked me if I knew why whe would do that. Can you tell me why dogs do this? Your reply will be appreciated as I will inform the new owners and try to help them with this issue.
Swanny5
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Cat poo is to dogs what caviar is to us :lol:

The only way a dog can be stopped from eating it is to make sure they can't get it, this means that the cat litter is in a place were the dog can't get to.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

Have you seen the pug episode of "It's Me or the Dog"? The pugs were eating poo (I don't know why; I have four cats and my pug doesn't come close to their litterbox and actually is grossed out by it and stays away). Victoria told them to reinforce the leave it command, and got flags. She taught the dogs the flags mean leave it, and not to get near them, and then put the flags near poop, and the dogs learned the connection to not eating poop. ;) It requires work, but then you don't have to move the litterbox and won't have to worry about your dog trying to eat poop. ;) Good luck!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

How were they taught that the flags meant leave?
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Victoria showed them the flag and said "leave it" then if they looked away from the flag I think she used the clicker to click and treat, or she just gave a treat. I think with repititions the flag became the cue to "leave it" so wherever the dogs pooped she would put the flag near the poop. Since the dogs learned to leave the flag alone, they didn't get close enough to get to the poop.
Ponies_and_Pups

Post by Ponies_and_Pups »

I agree with Mattie on the dogs loving it. Odd I know but they do. In fact I have three barn cats and my dogs will hunt for the buried poo. Sickens me but, what can I do besides never let them in the yard. But funny story if it makes you feel better. My doberman went in for a check up and they found worms. The vet came (fairly new) came out with a puzzled look on her face and looked at Shelby. Then back in with the more seasoned vet and back out. They called me back to the exam room and the seasoned vet was grinning ear to ear. The younger vet said " I don't see any problems she is very healthy except ....... well she has some parasites and we would like to run more tests. The more seasoned vet couldn't contain himself and burst out laughing then asked if we had a cat, to which I said yes. It seems Shelby was sneaking into the litterbox and helping herself. I no longer have housecats so now what my dogs now get they have to work for LOL.
Cheers and don't worry, that isn't the weirdest things your dog will get into. Wait until they get into the bathroom and eat your nickers or get into the rubbish and try and get the used feminine products or better yet bring home a filled diaper. Oh yes life with dogs is always a stomach turning adventure. LOL
Cheers
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

The difference in the pug episode and this vcase though is optimally picking up the poo and keeping hte yard free was the optimal solution. The flags were merely to give the owners time to scoop up the poop.

Cat boxes on the other should be cleaned and scooped daily. Litter boxes should be kept in areas the dog does not have access.

Litterbox truffles or kitty crunchies are just too enticing for most dogs.

The training with the flags was to present the flag, "leave it" then click and reward for the dog looking or moving away from the flag. Ultimately the dg learned that the flag means leave it and looks away from the flg even without the verbal leave it.
Ponies_and_Pups

Post by Ponies_and_Pups »

Oh how I wish I could 'flag' the cat poo around here. Rather hard with 10 acres, 3 cats of my own (barn cats) and dozens of cats from surrounding farms. I wouldn't begin to know where to look LOL. But I have learned to 'cover' the deer urine and estrus sites on the 'yard' part of the property because if they roll in that it smells like something died.

Cheers all
melhos123

Post by melhos123 »

Cat poo has certain nutrients that dogs like. Weird I know, but the same is true with cat food, so it makes sense for the same to apply to what comes after the cat food. Chances are if they are having trouble with the dog getting at the cat food if he has any ability. Our dog used to go into stealth mode to try and steal food and poo.

I would try a couple of things, talk to your vet, there may be a nutrient that they are finding they like and aren't getting anywhere else but in the poo. Also, I don't know the size of the dog or the layout of the house, but since cat's can climb and jump we ended up moving their litter boxes onto a shelf in our laundry room where the cats could access it, but it was too tall for the dog to reach.

Good luck! I know its a gross habit to break. :)
Emma&Tess

Post by Emma&Tess »

Dogs often eat cat poo because cat food is high in protein. That makes their poo smell and taste nice.To dogs :!:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Dogs especially love outdoor cat poo in the winter when it's frozen-- poopsicles-- yum!

But here is what I've done: 1) on leash, they are told to "leave it," and not permitted to eat it. 2) at home, they are trained to keep all the kitties who don't belong to us out of our yard, so the kitties are not permitted to poop in our yard. Our dogs don't eat their own poop, or the poop of other dogs.