Amazing new loose leash method I tried today

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ponies_and_Pups

Amazing new loose leash method I tried today

Post by Ponies_and_Pups »

Ah Cara,

Gotta love her, so big and silly. Our issues are ONLY dog aggression but I sat out with the horses this morning in the frost as they chewed their hay, watched the dogs play and had an idea. When I am working with horses and they start to pull I don't change the direction of the walk, I change MY direction. I stop, step sideways, divert their attention to me and then I walk backwards in another direction keeping my eyes on their body language, shoulders in particular. So I thought, since I really believe if Cara respected the leash and harness more, I would be able to communicate more easily with her and retain her attention or if a dog appears out of nowhere, I could gain her attention (because she won't even accept food treats etc when she is so focused on another dog and we all know they can and do come out of nowhere at times).
I grabbed a lead and didn't even collar or harness her, instead I took a handfull of treats, put the leash around her neck with my holding both ends so it just looped on her neck. I called her name, had her sit and wait, treated her and then gave 'heel'. I started walking and as soon as she would start to pull ahead or to the side I simply stepped to the side and faced her but started walking backwards. Hmmmmmmm the look on her face was priceless and after about 8 minutes of this she was walking at my side easily. I would only take a few steps backwards and then give 'heel' again and go on forwards. Why didn't I think of this sooner? Well the BEST part is that not only does she quizzically look at me but she KEEPS looking at me, even without the temptation of a treat in my hand or the 'look at mum' cue.
I then tried it on the little doxie mix and the same results in fact with Cara playing around us I found she WANTED to heel even though she was on PLAY OK. I put another 5 mins on Cara and this time went down the road. She became rather alert at a squirrel crossing the road so I called her name, heel, and turned walking backwards and amazingly enough she was all eyes on ME, and couldn't have given a second thought to the squirrel.
I think, no I am confident this will work now. Sometimes ideas and solutions that work do come to you when you least worry about finding them. LOL

Cheers
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Question: When you walk backwards, are you continuing in the same direction that you were originally walking, or has the dog turned around at this point?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Sounds very similar to what I do only I turn and walk the other way, you have made yourself unpredictable so your dog HAS to watch you, well done. :D

This is what traing is about, finding something that works for you and your dog, we can only give ideas, it is up to the owner to adapt them to suit them and their dogs. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ponies_and_Pups

Noobs, it depends on several things. 1) If she is pulling to go after a squirrel or cat and I have to distract her to get her focusing on me, we will go either 90 or 180 degrees. Say we are walking down our drive as we were this morning, and I see a squirrel, as soon as I see it I turn 180 degrees because squirrels are unpredictable little buggars and would dart left or right, causing Cara to take that interest. I just basically stop the walking, lower my body a hair at the waist, call her name with heel and start walking backwards giving the little squirrel time to make up it's mind and be gone. As I can see it, I can glance for it and still ensure Cara is looking at ME. Then when the coast is clear I will praise good to Cara, stop and continue forward. It worked wonders.
UPDATE: Hubby came home around lunchtime and we had to show off our new found skills. LOL. I took the spare lead and again just held both ends putting her head in the 'loop' so we were sure not to have her be able to pull and that it was becasue she WANTED to stay near me that she walked that way. I had only 2 treats in my pocket still and we set off across the yard (about 1.5 acres). She would do well then get distracted, I would slow, then turn facing her and start going backwards. He was simply amazed that there was SLACK in the lead. He said: "I DIDN'T think I would see that for MONTHS even with hard work". Haha, silly hubby, he should know how determined I am by now and Cara loves being with her humans, the outdoors and pleasing so it only makes sense she picks it up quickly.
Mattie, thanks heaps for the support and kind words. I am doing it facing her so I can reinforce the 'watch me' , build confidence in her, and also to be able to watch her energy and body language shift so that I learn more and more about her each time.
Cheers all.
joji732

thank you

Post by joji732 »

What a great idea! Rusty and I will be trying this one!
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

I have tried a method similar to this, and to Mattie's method for about a month now, but sadly to no avail with my dog. It's so frustrating and disappointing. I walk with him and when he starts to get ahead of me, I drop the leash and change directions. He has learned to anticipate me changing directions and by the time I'm walking again, he's already two steps ahead of me-- which is where he was when I changed directions in the first place :(

I talked to a trainer back in August who said in order to get him to pay attention, you have to be unpredictable. If you don't just go in a straight line, but go forward, turn 180 degrees, or do a big figure 8 or even a circle- the dog will learn to watch you (partly so he doesn't actually run into you.... which my dog does on a very regular basis). My dog insists on being about two full steps ahead of me, constantly looking ahead for anything that might be around. He will seem completely fixated sometimes, and I can't see a person or animal or car or anything. It seems he's fixated on nothing. The very last thing he ever seems to want to do on a walk is pay attention to me... even in just a boring area where we walk every day.

I took him to an area where there are absolutely no distractions or anything going on, but it's always the same thing :(
I try to walk in a circle or change direction to get him to pay attention, but he always manages to get in front of me. I know he doesn't necessarily have to be behind me, but I hate that he pays absolutely no attention to what I'm doing because we live in the city, and if we're walking and he just tries to go off in another direction, that can be dangerous.

*sigh*
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

whatthedeuce wrote: I talked to a trainer back in August who said in order to get him to pay attention, you have to be unpredictable. If you don't just go in a straight line, but go forward, turn 180 degrees, or do a big figure 8 or even a circle- the dog will learn to watch you (partly so he doesn't actually run into you.... which my dog does on a very regular basis). My dog insists on being about two full steps ahead of me, constantly looking ahead for anything that might be around. He will seem completely fixated sometimes, and I can't see a person or animal or car or anything. It seems he's fixated on nothing. The very last thing he ever seems to want to do on a walk is pay attention to me... even in just a boring area where we walk every day.
Your dog has you well trained at the moment :lol: We have all been there but it is up to you to change this.

Don't let him walk ahead of you, he must be catching you up all the time, if he isn't catching you up you are not doing it properly. When your turn you continue to walk in that direction until your dog has caught you up and starting to go ahead, you don't turn before.

You should be leading him, at the moment he is leading you.

If he is catching you up all the time you will be able to see any distractions before he does so can take action by putting him into a sit and do a "Watch Me" until it has gone.

[quoote]I took him to an area where there are absolutely no distractions or anything going on, but it's always the same thing :(
I try to walk in a circle or change direction to get him to pay attention, but he always manages to get in front of me. I know he doesn't necessarily have to be behind me, but I hate that he pays absolutely no attention to what I'm doing because we live in the city, and if we're walking and he just tries to go off in another direction, that can be dangerous.

*sigh*[/quote]

Starting off teaching a dog to walk on a loose lease I would keep him behind me, don't let him get in front, he has to be catching you up all the time. You will be walking up and down the same part of the street at first, people will think you are completely mad but by keeping your dog behind you it doesn't matter if people think you are mad, it is part of owning a dog. :lol:

These methods do work if done properly, by allowing him to be in front of you you are not doing it properly. At the moment your dog is in charge, you need to change this to you being in charge. If he has learnt that the word heel means he is in charge, change the word, I use close because I prefer that, I can call my dogs close anytime.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ponies_and_Pups

May I dance with joy? If so, I shall. Well it was not a fluke. Today after our first second and third (third was a show off for hubby) trial with our rather odd approach to getting her to walk loosely on lead, she amazed me again.
Right so admittingly so, she was on such a wild ride this morning with the cold weather, I really didn't think it would happen, so I let her and Honda run about in the yard whilst I fed the horses, hayed and broke the ice in the water tubs.
I had just a few treats, this time she had a regular collar on (flat one that I have her tags on in the yard incase the elec man or someone comes up) and I hooked the leash. I got her attention, had her look at me, treated her when she sat at heel, and started with heel Cara, off we went. We went down the road just to the post boxes, and back around the property and only had to change directions 2 times in 10 minutes !!!
Can I have a Oh yeah........?
Oh yeah, onyah Cara, and, the beautiful thing, if she looked like she was about to go ahead or stiffen for a squirrel, all I needed to do was to slow down a bit and again, lower my body at the waist just a hair and she LOOKED AT ME. stopped and looked at me.
Wow.
I am so happy and although it will be 14 farenheit tomorrow morning, when the sun comes out and it warms up I CAN'T WAIT to do this again.
This is so much fun and might I add I do this all with the little Doxie running loose and at our sides so what a good distraction!
Cheers all.
Disney Paws

Post by Disney Paws »

This is a great idea! Not only does it seem effective, but it's also positive, and instead of scolding the dog, it's correcting it, and also teaches it dominance in that you are in charge. Thanks for posting this. =D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

This has nothing to do with dominance, I can't understand why people want to dominate their dogs, I prefer to have my dogs as partners which is what Ponies and Pups is doing with her dog.

You are showing a remarkable insight with your dog Ponies and Pups, your dog is very lucky. :D
Ponies_and_Pups

Thank you both for the kind words. I don't really want to dominate my dog, or be a pack leader of sorts. I like harmony, them being dogs, the horses being horses, and me being well, ME. I don't mind her happy tailwags when I come home, but I won't allow her to jump on me. I don't mind her sleeping at the foot of the bed at times, but she has to wait until I tell her it is ok and she can have the foot not come between hubby and myself. I don't feed them ONLY after excercize, I feed them coincidentally after our morning jaunt and run to feed the horses which just happens to be the time of day I choose to work her, when our minds and bodies are fresh. I lover her unconditionally, but I don't dress her in cute outfits. I guess at the end of the day, I just want her to be the best that she can be (Oh how I sound like my parents lol) and I want her to respect me. To come when called, be nice to people and other animals (there is that harmony part of me again) and to enjoy being a dog.
I hope that makes sense LOL, if not chalk it up to the ramblings of a soon to be 49 yr old that has surely lost some braincells here and there LOL.
Cheers
Callipso84

Loose Leash

Post by Callipso84 »

After reading this board I bought one of those training harnesses and my dog is like a totally different dog when I take her for walks. I did awareness training for 30 minutes today and she picked up on it right away. Even though there were sooo many distractions for her at the park.

The harness ROCKS!
Ponies_and_Pups

Yes I have to size her and fit a harness for her, I don't particularly like collars of anytype, but she has outgrown 2. LOL. She was MEANT to be 40 to 45 lbs grown but now at 8months is over 60lbs.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Ponies and Pups you are starting to sound like me, I like to live in harmony with my dogs, all 6 of them, when you have so many you have to have harmony. :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

This method is definitely working for me and Murphy! Well, I use a combination of that and turning and walking the other direction. I don't necessary walk backwards all the time, but when I do, he follows looking at me. Then I turn and walk forward and when he catches up he's still looking at me! I *think* it's because he's confused and wondering where the heck I'm going if I'm not going straight down every sidewalk, which I love. It doesn't always work right away - at one point I went in two complete circles because he kept running out in front of me, but he finally caught on and we've had very nice walks the last two days.

Mind you, pulling is not a huge issue for my dog and myself, but once in a while when there's snow on the ground or he's in a particularly curious mood then it becomes challening, which is where this method comes in handy for us. :D

I also don't use treats as much as I used to; but I still carry my little trusty jar of meat-based babyfood with me at all our walks in case I need a distraction when I can tell something up the road is going to stress him out.

I have to say this board is such a lifesaver for me. Thanks everyone. (And sorry for the threadjack, but the beginning of my post was related to yours anyway!)