HELP! - Dog Stealing Items Off Counter

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shannon

HELP! - Dog Stealing Items Off Counter

Post by Shannon »

My 9.5 mo old mixed breed (lab/pit/dane/??) neutered male puppy has been stealing things off the counter - anything on the counter is fair game whether it is clean or dirty, he will take it and chew it to pieces. When we are out of the house he is kept in the kitchen/living room of the apartment where there is a window over the kitchen sink. He gets his paws on the counter to look outside which I think started the stealing. Length of time he is left alone doesn't matter either, as he will "check" on us anytime we walk outside without him.
He gets plenty of exercise and has another adult dog with him all the time. He also has a bunch of toys to entertain him, but chooses things from the counter to chew on.
We are at a loss on how to go about fixing this - keeping him off the counter and to stop stealing our stuff. Even if dishes are clean he will pull them out of the sink so it's not the lure of food that is getting to him. Material doesn't matter either, he'll chew plastic, metal, paper (loves shredding paper).
Any advice, hints, tips or tricks are welcome as we don't really know how to proceed. Thanks for your help!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dogs don't understand the concept of "stealing". If it's there and looks fun, they'll take it. Dogs are opportunists and that is how their minds work.

So, either clear your counters or restrict your dog's access to the area.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have 3 that will do this, 4 if Gracie was big enough to reach :lol: If one of my dogs get something off the counter I roll up a newspaper and hit myself over the head with it saying, "I must put everything away" and home I remember next time. :wink:

The more your dog gets what is on the counter the more he will because he is self rewarding each time he gets something.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I concur. It only took my dog one time grabbing a sandwich in a ziploc bag off my kitchen table for me to learn MY lesson never to leave tempting things out for him to reach. Learned it again last night when I left one of my cloth grocery bags on the table within his reach and he grabbed it and chewed it up. My fault, not the dog's.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

I understand that dogs do not have the same thought process as humans when it come to human-created ideas like "stealing." I was using it as a figure of speech. I was looking for HELPFUL tips on how to stop the dog from jumping up on the counter as I do not want dirty dogs paws up there regardless of items being taken from the counter. The issue is him being on the counter. I cannot restrict the dog's access b/c I'm in an apartment and don't have the space and don't have space to completely clear off the counter.
Again, instead of scolding me for doing something wrong, try to be helpful, read the post to see what people are asking for. And if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all. Thank you to anyone who has ideas on how to keep the dog off the counter.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Not to be argumentative, but you did ask how to get your dog to stop stealing things off the counter and not that the issue was that you didn't want dirty dog paws on the counter at all. I live in a small apartment too and it's tough but we keep our table and counter clear of anything the dog can grab. As for the counter in general, I guess I'm just lucky my dog doesn't counter surf, not even when there's food on the counter and we've walked away from it for a second or two.

If he likes to look out the window, perhaps a curtain on the window would help him realize that he can't see anything out of it.

I have heard (not necessarily here on this forum) of putting packing tape sticky side up on stuff you don't want the dog to touch such as magazines. Dog reaches for it, gets stuck in the tape, and it's uncomfortable enough to keep him from trying again. I have NOT tried this, it's just something I've read online before.
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

Does this only happen when you are gone? Could you try crate training him or blocking your kitchen from his access? This won't teach him not to take anything from the counter, but it is probably going to be easier than trying to work against a behavior that he's only doing when you're not home! ;)
Trust me!

If there isn't a way to keep him from the counters and the kitchen, it seems there has to be some way to teach him not to stand and put his feet up like that..... After all, avoiding the situation by removing everything from the counters is just covering up the problem, not solving it. (Which I realize is the same with just keeping him out of the kitchen or using a crate.) The dog may eventually realize "There is nothing interesting up here" and stop standing up and putting his feet up to even look. But once there is something on the counter, of course he will go for it again. And what's the point of having a counter if we can't even use it?? Ugh!

Maybe you could get some boxes/pieces of cardboard to put in front of things you don't want him getting into, like a barricade. I know that sounds ghetto but that's been our solution to chewing problems when we're not homg (our dog can't stand to be in a crate, either). :(
However if your dog will just take the cardboard and chew that up, that isn't going to help either. :?
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

Noobs wrote: I have heard (not necessarily here on this forum) of putting packing tape sticky side up on stuff you don't want the dog to touch such as magazines. Dog reaches for it, gets stuck in the tape, and it's uncomfortable enough to keep him from trying again. I have NOT tried this, it's just something I've read online before.
I have heard of using aluminum foil on things because it makes noise when it's walked on and animals don't like that. I was trying to think of a way maybe she could incorporate foil so that when the dog stands up, his feet hit the foil and make a sound he doesn't like, and he might get back down?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Shannon wrote:I understand that dogs do not have the same thought process as humans when it come to human-created ideas like "stealing." I was using it as a figure of speech.
How are we to know you are using this as a figure of speech when all we have got to go on is what you have written.
I was looking for HELPFUL tips on how to stop the dog from jumping up on the counter as I do not want dirty dogs paws up there regardless of items being taken from the counter. The issue is him being on the counter. I cannot restrict the dog's access b/c I'm in an apartment and don't have the space and don't have space to completely clear off the counter.

Maybe if you had written your post properly we would have understood what you wanted.

As getting things off the counter is self rewarding, if there is nothing there for him to get he will eventually stop jumping up. It will take time because he has found that nice things to eat are up there but he will stop provided you are very consistant. None of my 3 dogs jump up now because there is never anything left so no reward for jumping up.

While my dogs were working this out, I kept a spray bottle with 50/50 white vinegar and water handy and would spray my counter and wipe with a paper towel. Much easier to do than have all the stress of trying to teach a dog not to jump up.
Again, instead of scolding me for doing something wrong, try to be helpful, read the post to see what people are asking for. And if you don't have something constructive to say, don't say anything at all. Thank you to anyone who has ideas on how to keep the dog off the counter.
Nobody has scolded you, but we are volunteers who give our time and experience free to to answer questions from people like you. I don't take very kindly to being attached when I reply to a question because the poster didn't put up the right question but expected me to know.

If you can't speak to people properly, I doubt many would be bothered to reply to you because of your nastiness.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have heard (not necessarily here on this forum) of putting packing tape sticky side up on stuff you don't want the dog to touch such as magazines. Dog reaches for it, gets stuck in the tape, and it's uncomfortable enough to keep him from trying again. I have NOT tried this, it's just something I've read online before.
It can frighten a dog as well which isn't a good idea because they become very fearful of approaching anything that looks like it.

After all, avoiding the situation by removing everything from the counters is just covering up the problem, not solving it.
Avoiding a problem does cure them as I have found out with my dogs. All dog training is getting the dog into the habit, we give a dog a command the dog has a habit of doing what we ask so do it, this is what we aim for when training them. If we teach sit in the kitchen, we have to teach it in every room, outside etc so it becomes a habit. Stopping a dog from self rewarding themselves also develops the habit of not doing it because there is no reward in it. It is also a lot less stressful to teach a dog by managing the problem with many problems including dog on dog aggression.
I have heard of using aluminum foil on things because it makes noise when it's walked on and animals don't like that. I was trying to think of a way maybe she could incorporate foil so that when the dog stands up, his feet hit the foil and make a sound he doesn't like, and he might get back down?
Having had to advise owners of dogs who have used this method and the dogs have become terrified of any similar noise which makes living a normal life difficult, I don't recommend it. We all use aluminum foil for cooking but these owners had to stop using this because of their dogs.
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

Mattie wrote:
Having had to advise owners of dogs who have used this method and the dogs have become terrified of any similar noise which makes living a normal life difficult, I don't recommend it. We all use aluminum foil for cooking but these owners had to stop using this because of their dogs.
Hmmm. Well... our dog is terrified of our vacuum cleaner, but we still use it in the house.
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Mattie: Maybe if you had read my original post properly you would understand my frustration with this thread and the initial replys. I originally wrote that I am at a loss on (1) keeping the puppy off the counter and (2) stop stealing my stuff. Instead I receive posts on cleaning my counter. I understand that having dishes, spoons or sponges on the counter are alluring to dogs. I may have focused too much on items being taken instead of reiterating the problem of the dog being on the counter.

Also, should the use of the word stealing be such a big issue? To the dog it's taking what he wants, to me it's taking what he should not have. Yes, he doesn't understand that he should not have it, but when a young child takes something from a store b/c he wants it, is it then not considered stealing b/c he doesn't understand the concept? Again, this is not the issue, just a rebuttal.

I did not intend to come off "nasty," I was frustrated at receiving a reply of "I roll up a newspaper and hit myself over the head with it saying, "I must put everything away"." I cannot see the helpfulness in this post. It was also not my intention to have anyone feel "attached" by what I wrote. (yes I know you meant attacked and I have no intention of doing that either.) I was just looking for a way to teach the dog to stay off the counter.

These forums have so much great potential for dog owners to help each other. It seems that, from going through other threads, that either no advice is given, or unhelpful advice or stories are given. It's a shame, but I will probably not use this site for advice in the future and cannot recommend it to other dog owners.

One last thing - Thanks to those with Ideas. I had heard of the tape/foil ideas as well, just wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

I would be interested if you DO find a way to get your kleptomaniac dog to quit standing up at your counters! :)

Crates are great if your dog will tolerate one. But if not, then every time you leave your house and leave him out, you just have to hope that you remembered to put absolutely everything away. :(

Yeah.... Welcome to my life. :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Shannon wrote:Mattie: Maybe if you had read my original post properly you would understand my frustration with this thread and the initial replys. I originally wrote that I am at a loss on (1) keeping the puppy off the counter and (2) stop stealing my stuff. Instead I receive posts on cleaning my counter. I understand that having dishes, spoons or sponges on the counter are alluring to dogs. I may have focused too much on items being taken instead of reiterating the problem of the dog being on the counter.
I did read your post, how else could I have replied.
Also, should the use of the word stealing be such a big issue? To the dog it's taking what he wants, to me it's taking what he should not have. Yes, he doesn't understand that he should not have it, but when a young child takes something from a store b/c he wants it, is it then not considered stealing b/c he doesn't understand the concept? Again, this is not the issue, just a rebuttal.
A child understands our language a dog doesn't, you can explain to a child you can't to a dog. I could go on but I won't.

I did not intend to come off "nasty," I was frustrated at receiving a reply of "I roll up a newspaper and hit myself over the head with it saying, "I must put everything away"." I cannot see the helpfulness in this post. It was also not my intention to have anyone feel "attached" by what I wrote. (yes I know you meant attacked and I have no intention of doing that either.) I was just looking for a way to teach the dog to stay off the counter.
That was tongue in cheek and also shows that if my dogs get anything off my counters it is my fault not my dogs for leaving it there for them to get.

You are frustrated by not getting the replies you wanted instead you got what works. You want a miracle cure, there isn't one with dogs, it is either good management which this is, or training.

These forums have so much great potential for dog owners to help each other. It seems that, from going through other threads, that either no advice is given, or unhelpful advice or stories are given. It's a shame, but I will probably not use this site for advice in the future and cannot recommend it to other dog owners.
Stories are given because it is often the best way to explain something for the person wanting the advice to see what can happen, it is also peoples personal experiences that have worked.

Maybe it is a good idea if you don't come back here again because we can't give you the answers you want. You want to be given a miracle cure and there isn't one, we can only tell you what works.

I have just had a week of hell, nearly lost one of my dogs several times but still found the time to reply to your post. We give our time free and willingly and don't expect to be attacked the way you have attacked me. We do try to put some humour into our replies when we can, this usually helps the person who needs help, unfortunately you don't seem to have a sense of humour.

This is the last time I will reply to any of your posts, my time can be better spent with people who really do need help, you don't.
zeus'fostermom

Post by zeus'fostermom »

[quote="Shannon"]
quote]

Shannon, don't give up on this forum yet. There are a lot of good people with good ideas here. None of us is perfect, there are no stupid questions and we all have a chance to learn something new.

In response to your original post, often this behavior is simply due to bordem. Sounds like you are already exercising him and giving him toys to keep him occupied. Have you tried frozen stuffed kongs or cube puzzels? Maybe something a little more challenging?

I may get chastized for saying this but, have you tried bitter apple? Consider removing all but one or two "safe" items and spray the items with the bitter apple. When my dog was chewing my shoes up I would spray them with bitter apple each day before I left. Saved me hundreds of $$ in shoes.

You didn't mention how long you'd had him or his history. Is it possible he has seperation anxiety? If you haven't already done this , try leaving the house for brief moments, starting with 5 min, then 10 min then so on. Also, do not make coming or going a big deal. A quiet "I'll be back" and walk out the door. When you come back, same thing. You can say hello but calmly walk past him. Only pet him after you've settled in and he is calm.

Curious what ends up working. Keep us posted as you are definately not the only one with this issue!
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !