Peeing in crate-WHY?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nottahugger

Peeing in crate-WHY?

Post by nottahugger »

This board has been very helpful in the past so I'll ask another question that's driving me crazy. My 5.5 month old Mini Aussie Bella is doing really well in her crate these days. She sleeps in there at night with no crying, and I crate her during the day when I go to work in 4-5 hour increments sometimes less if I can get home. My question is this: sometimes when I come home after only 3 hours she will have peed in her crate and other times I'll come home after 4 or 5 and she hasn't peed. Is this something she will grow out of, or is she simply peeing because she can't hold it? Any help would be great because I sometimes worry that she will never be housetrained, and it's frustrating me. Thanks in advance!
Aussie's RULE!
passionate61

Post by passionate61 »

:) Is your girl, speyed? If not she could be coming close to coming into season, and this can cause peeing in the crate. My two year old girl, is really good can go for 3-4 hrs if need be without peeing, but if she is coming into season she will pee in her crate, no matter how long or short, she has been there. Just a thought.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

She is still relatively young and her bladder control is still developing. As far as the night and day difference I believe woul be relative to rest time vs activity time.

During the day light, sounds and other such things keep your dog in a relatively different state than the dark and quiet of the night. There is also the added amount of activity in the early evening (when you return) as opposed to the activity before leaving.

It can take up to a year for some dogs, especially small dogs, to develope full control of their bladders. It also would not hurt to have her examined for a UTI or other complications which may result in loss of bladder control....sometimes females after being spayed have incontinence issues.