Getting a lab to jump into a truck

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Getting a lab to jump into a truck

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

I have a 2 yr old lab that won't jump into the bed of the truck. He has never had a bad experience that I know of and when we put him in there he seems to enjoy it. He always seems eager to go with us when we go places as well and will put his front paws up there but then look at us waiting for us to lift him up.

Also, he won't jump into my dad's truck but he will jump into mine. (My dad's truck is considerably larger than mine) He has done it before but it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get him in the truck if we don't want to lift him up. We've tried treats before, but he's not very food or toy motivated to do anything.

Any ideas as to how to get him in?

Could use some help my dad wasn't expecting to have a lab that didn't jump into a truck... I think he would be much happier with his dog if he could take him more places.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Jumping into trucks can be difficult for many dogs and painfull if they suffer from any type of hip dysplasia. Labs are very susceptible to this condition so perhaps a check could eliminate this.

Second how about if there is a small ramp or steps leading up into the truck...if you took a flat board could you get him to climb in using the board?
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Could hip dysplasia come at that young of an age? I was under the impression it was more common as they got older. We had a Golden Retriever about 10 yrs ago with hip dysplasia and this lab doesn't seem to show any signs of it.

Thank you for the idea of a board. I'll try and talk my dad into trying it.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Hip problems can show up as early as 2. While there may be no outward symptoms early and x-ray can show if your pup might be showing early signs.
zeus'fostermom

Post by zeus'fostermom »

I have a large Pyrenees that does the same thing. I don't yet know if he has a physical problem or is just stubborn. I've taught him to use a ramp which works really well however it's heavy and awkward and has been hard on my back.

Have you ever heard of the Otto Step? It's a plastic platform that inserts into a 2 inch tow/hitch. It's pretty light weight so shouldn't be hard on your Dad. Check out www.ottostep.com. Plus, if you buy one they make a donation to an animal shelter of your choice.
Foster failure ... I've adopted Zeus !
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

Thank you for the idea. I'm trying to talk him into it because if he could find a way to get him in without being so much trouble I think he would take him hunting more often. But he doesn't seem to want to even try these things... Guess I need to find a way to train my dad instead... I'll keep trying and will take any other ideas as well to present to him.