Shy Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

a18wheelslady

Shy Dog

Post by a18wheelslady »

I have 8 month old puppy and she is very shy around people that she does not know. When I take her in the show ring and put her on the table she acts like she is going to fall off and wants nothing to do with her chicken that I have in my hand. She has never fallen off a table. But if I put her on the table out of the ring she is fine. When we go places she is shy of people in general that she does not know. Any one have some ideas as to how to get her over this. Also
When I have her at home and work with her on the table she is great. I’m so confused.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Puppies go through several fear stages during their developement, the last one being around 7 to 9mo of age. This is normal, especially if she used to be "bold" about meeting strangers or being placed on the table.

Continue with exposing her to people, but tone down and shorten the time frame. Heavily reward any interaction with new people or objects.

as far as the behavior in the ring and behavior out of the ring. I run 2 of my dogs in agility, and yes in all show venues dogs seemingly run differently when showing, than when practicing. All of this is not the dog's "fault". When you are in the ring, your adrenline is flowing, you want everything to be abolutely perfect and perhaps carry yourself differently.

This change in posture will reflect changes in your dog's behavior and comfort. The closer you can get to acting as you do during practice or training, the better you will run in the ring.