Dog scared of Clicker -finger click ok?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzie R

Dog scared of Clicker -finger click ok?

Post by Suzie R »

I bought the quietest clicker that I could find, with the lowest tone. And still my 1 year old, small mongrel dog is terrified of it.

She's absolutely fine with my hairdryer and vacuum cleaner, but seems to be too nervy for high, sharp noises. I just now realised that before I even thought of training her, I've been institnctively clicking my fingers when I say Down when she jumps up with muddy paws or to beg for food at the table. It's click then say Down and point down. It works!

So, do you think it's advisable to finger-click train her, instead of clicker-train? Is the sound not quite consistent enough?

Thanks to you all - I appreciate your collective wisdom. I've only had cats before, and they trained ME.

Suzie
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

How about the click from a retractable ball point pen?
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

How about just using a word like "Yes"?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

there is a difference between using a marker word like yes or yep and using a click. It has to do with which area of the brain the marker registers with. Perhaps one of the more scientifically inclined posters can elaborate as I do not fully inderstand the details.

The click registers with a more primative side of the brain where as a marker word registers with the more cognitive protion of the brain. registering training in themore primative side of the brain, provides greater reliability during periods of high prey drive, fear or stress.

Thats about as much detail I know on the subject. Sorry I can't give more.
Emotions

Post by Emotions »

Mary Ray does bug clickers, these are really good. I bought a load from Crufts last year and I have used them successfully with dogs that are scared of the clicker, even sensitive whippet types.

http://www.maryray.co.uk/accessories.html

If your dog is still scared keep clicking and treat with real high value food like pieces of beef

Clicker V Spoken Word info here
http://www.clickertraining.com/files/Wo ... FICACY.pdf

Jane
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

I've used those little bug clickers for dogs who are frightened of the clicker and they work well.

Other possibilities would include ball point pens (as mentioned), baby food lids or one of those digital clickers.

I get a lot of mill dogs and they are frightened of the click but the ping from the digital clicker on the softer setting does not seem to upset them.

The ping, like the click, is thought to register through the amygdala (with the warble and the chirp, the other two sounds on that clicker).
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
Suzie R

Post by Suzie R »

Thanks, everyone. I'll try to get hold of a bug-clicker or similar.

But any opinions on my finger-clicking? Or can I make a clicking noise with my tongue, like I do for horses? It just feels more natural to use myself as a clicker. And nicer for Daisy, too, as she worships me and I think will respond much better to a noise that comes from me, rather than from a thing.

Also, if you use a ball-point pen, wont the dog prick up her ears every-time you write a cheque or add something to your shopping list?

As I don't routinely finger click or cluck my tongue, these would be sounds specially for her.

Any thoughts?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ive tried using a finger click or tongue click and find i just cannot do it quick enough, but also i can never make the sound exactly the same each time and that is really where the clicker (or ball point pen or jar lid etc) wins hands down.

Dogs respond best to consistency AND their hearing is better than ours by a long way, so if your fingers are damper or dryer than normal, or if you just took a drink or youve been talking for hours on the phone and are thirsty... your finger clicks and tongue clicks are not going to sound identical (and thats without going into the other variations possible with finger or tongue clicking).

If you already have a normal clicker have you tried wrapping the box part with electrical tape, or clicking it whilst its in your pocket?
joji732

clicker

Post by joji732 »

It seems to me that you are not actually talking about clicker training at all, but rather an attention-getting sound that you make BEFORE issuing a command. In clicker training, the click comes AS (or immediately AFTER) the behavior is performed. If you are talking about the former, it probably doesn't matter. If you are talking about the latter, however, I believe it does.
Suzie R

Post by Suzie R »

Thank you all so much! I considered everything you all said and in the end, I bought some baby-food. I ate the applesauce (yum!) and Daisy is responding so happily to the noise the lid makes when I press the security-seal button thingy. And little bits of string cheese.

Any idea how much cheese a 7 kg dog should be limited to, daily? And how much I should reduce her Purina dog chow (1 + 1/4 cup daily) to avoid over-feeding?

I read the articles on Operant Conditioning (aka Clicker Training) and I'm fascinated and totally hooked on it. I think it has great possibilites for training my wayward young children... :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Don't just give cheese as treats, vary them. I often use thinly sliced hotdogs, chicken etc.

Well done, dog training can become adictive. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]