Agressive Dog or Naughty Baby?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sabina

Agressive Dog or Naughty Baby?

Post by sabina »

If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated.
My partner has a dog that is approx 7-8 years old, breed? Not sure all sorts by the looks but she is very fluffy and very cute.
The dog was rescued as a pup along with its brother and my partner and his ex had no children and the dogs had a happy life with no formal training that i am aware of. Since they split and we got got together he kept the female dog and since we had a baby.
The baby started crawling and whenever he would get near her she would growl at him, the final straw was last week when he crawled and touched her fur and she attacked him, thankfully i was there to grab him off her in time, however i dread to think what could have happened had I not been around!
My partner thinks I am over reacting and believes there is a resolution to which we can all live in harmony. I would love to agree, however I have heard about this kind of thing all too often, it has reached the point of it's us or the dog! (My things are packed!)
I believe that she is set in her ways and not willing to release the aggressive streak, I truly believe that she will attack him again, and if this happens she will seriously damage him or worse. As a mother this is one risk I am not willing to take. I believe she is a lovely dog around older people but she does not and will not change her agression towards toddlers. If anyone out there begs to differ please do email me and let me know what you think can be done, and what guarentees you have to say she will not attack my baby.
Many thanks for reading.
Victoria
Site Admin

Post by Victoria »

I read your message with some concern. I don't want to be negative but I have to be realistic. I would be very concerned having a small baby around a dog that acted negatively. I don't exactly know what you mean by attack. Did the dog try to bite, did it growl etc? Unfortunately there are no assurances that the dog will not do that again even with training and the best thing to do is to keep dog and baby separated at all times, without exception.

Your partner has to realise that this is a big deal and in order for both dog and baby to thrive with eachother it is best not to gvie either of them the stress of being round the other especially if an attack has happened. There are no second chances when it comes to babies!!
Fools Gold

Post by Fools Gold »

To be honest,if the dog did bite your baby,i feel that the dog should go.Trying to keep a child and a dog apart that live in the same house is almost impossible,and if anything happened to your child,it would be to late to turn the clock back.
sabina

Post by sabina »

Replying to Fools Gold:
I have explained this to my partner and he believes opposite, as previously stated, I have advised of the departure of myself and my children if this is not resolved, ie the dog is to be rehomed.

Since my posting I have looked further into the situation and believe I may Have a resolution.

As Victoria quite rightly states "the best thing to do is to keep dog and baby separated at all times, without exception".

My partner is very much attached to his dog, so I decided to call in a pet behaviour chap who came to see if there was anything that could be done.

A dog is a dog and it's also for life, she was never aware that children would enter her life at any time, and now that this has happened I see it as our responsibility to help her adjust to the new situation, which is causing her stress and making her frightened and therefore the growls, snapping and biting occurs.

The pet behaviuor chap confirmed everything I had been telling my partner, he has been treating the dog like a baby and not a dog, with this in mind, it's through no fault of her own that she has been left slightly confused as to her position within the household.

We have a had many a discussion on ways to tackle this problem, as this is OUR responsibility, when the child crawls she is to leave the room for some time out so she does not stress about the baby coming near her. She no longer goes on the furniture or sleeps on the bed. She is to be spoken to firmly as to commands such as 'come', 'sit', etc and rewarded with a treat and good girl stroke when action has been undertaken.
I think it's a case of re-wiring her brain into recognition that she is a dog, we are the owners and she is to respect our children etc.

I do hope it works, I think it will take some time and persistence, but if we dont give up she will end up being a happier and more secure dog.

With all this in mind, babies or children should never be left with dogs unattended at any time, no matter what type of dog you may have. If a dog feels threatened then it has a natural instinct to protect itself.
A dog owner should be responsible enough not just to purchase the dog, but to tackle any problem that comes with it, or dont get a dog at all.

Again, many thanks for your replies and for reading.
Fools Gold

Post by Fools Gold »

Seems to me that you have your head screwed on,and that you will not let a repeat of what happened, happen again :)
sabina

Post by sabina »

Thank you, yes I do feel as though we have a resolution, but as advised it will take hard work and perseverance.
Dogs are lovely animals, just as long as we dont forget that that is what they are, animals, and we need to conform to their pack ideals.
I have done a lot of research into this, and although the simple solution would be to rehome her it is not an ideal solution to the poor animals that can be helped but their owners refuse to admit fault, and thus dog shelters are full to the brim with dogs.
I also worked with dogs when I was younger and never thought that my education in this field would withstand the test of time, but again this has shown that dogs dont change, people do and we need to educate ourselves fully before entering the responsibility of such wonderful loyal creatures.
I hope this will help others when making a decision to get a dog, this really is for life and not for Xmas.
I shall keep you all posted on Indy's (the dog!) progress.
Many thanks.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Sabina, congratulations to you for seeking help, and trying to make the best situation for all involved, including the dog.
Josie

Post by Josie »

The most common reason for dogs showing aggression to toddlers is fear, it's got nothing to do with 'dominance' and keeping her off the sofa isn't going to change that at all.

She needs to have somewhere she can go to get away from the baby (crates can be useful as long as they are not used as a doggy prison) and you need to make sure her space is respected by not allowing the baby to crawl up to her.

You can get room dividers as well as baby gates that mean the whole family can be together, but that the baby and the dog can give each other enouigh space.

I'm not impressed with the advice your behaviourst gave you to be honest. Don't forget anyone can call themselves a behaviourist, you could get business cards printed up tomorrow and start working, it doesn't mean that they've got the skills, experience and academic knowledge to do the job.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I grew up with toy poodles and the rule in the house for us kids was, "you piss off the dog, you get bitten". However the rule existed because the dogs would only bite if you went up and pulled their tail or something.

But if your dog is aggressive for no reason, this needs to be sorted NOW.
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

The dog isn't aggressive for "no reason". I wasn't there, so can't possibly judge for certain, but it sounds like the dog gave a warning for being pestered (in her perception) by a baby. Sometimes these can be very frightening experiences, and sound like the most vicious attack ever, so I can understand the fear and concern. This dog however doesn't sound like a bad dog that's been spoilt, it sounds like a bewildered dog who hasnt had her need for personal space respected.