Dog in the bed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

tnell

Dog in the bed

Post by tnell »

Hi, my weimaraner is 13 months old and sleeps on my bed. During the night if it gets cooler, he paws me to let him in under the covers. I would now like to try and get him off the bed and maybe into a basket. Anybody with some useful ideas, please let me know. I don't want to alienate him or cause him any psychological damage. Please help!
Sam-chan

Post by Sam-chan »

The thing to do is to allocate him a room and put a bed or basket in it. Give him some treats and give it a command like you would other circumstances (we use 'bed') and then leave the room quietly. If he causes damage when you're not around, then use a cage. Dogs see them as a den, not as a confinement. Make sure that it is big enough for him to stand up in comfortably.

Don't forget to warn the neighbours, especially if you live in a semi or terrace house, because he might make a racket for the first few weeks. This is not because he's traumatised, more like a tantrum, and once he realises that he's not going to get his way he'll just curl up and go to sleep. The key is consistency.