I'm trying to teach my dogs how to ring a bell--need advice

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DawnStorm

I'm trying to teach my dogs how to ring a bell--need advice

Post by DawnStorm »

I would like to teach my dogs how to ring a bell when they want in, instead of scratching on the (new) door. I've already hung some bells next to the door and am trying to get them to at least pay attention to it, but I haven't had much luck. At some point, I would like them to know that if they paw at the bells and get them to ring, one of use will let them in. How do I start?
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

Have you done any targeting with them?

As to the bell, be careful what you wish for. I did it a few years ago and spemt weeks listening to ding...ding...ding ...everytime they wanted to go outside and play.

I took the bells down. :?
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

ONe way to introdyce them to the bells is 101 things to do with X where in your case would be your bells. Check out the exercise your mind thread for a complete description.

From here you would be able to shape the desired behavior to use the bells to signal a desire to go out. (ring bell, door opens)
Thurston Lodge

Post by Thurston Lodge »

clicker training?
"I love cooking with wine - occasionally I even put some in the food!!!"
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

yes clicker training to target the bell as well as the bell response in opening the door.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

Or you could use the cheater method and smear a little peanut butter or bratwurst on the bell each time you go to take the dog out to pee and poo.

It works fast (so does clicker training) but it has a single odd little quirk if you don't make a habit of carrying bratwurst in your pocket-- one of my dogs will go to the door, then to the fridge, then lick the bell and wait for me to open the door. It's not a troublesome habit-- just quirky.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

as you bring them in, put their nose to the bell so it rings..

do it EVERY TIME
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Not a good idea to put a dog's somewhere, this is manhandling them to put it there and you could get bitten. Even doing this gently can upset many dogs because their noses are very sensitive.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Gert

Post by Gert »

I have trained my female dog to use a bell. My male will not. He barks at the door instead.

I put a string of bells on the door. Every time we would go outside,I would jingle the bells with my hand and say "outside." After a few days of this,she would move the bells with her nose, and I would say "outside." and let her out. Now she will paw them or ring them with her nose. My male dog will not do this. After a few days,he started to bark at the door,which is ok with me.

They will ring when ever they want outside,even if it is to look at the street and then come back in. Frustrating at times,but i like them to ring or bark when they want out. If
it gets to be too much (i.e. ringing to look at the neighbors every 2 minutes), then I restrict access to the door. I still make sure they do not need to be pottied first.

Gertie B.