Peeing out of fear or excitement

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

i_are_chanel

Peeing out of fear or excitement

Post by i_are_chanel »

Before we moved my dog Charlie was getting to the point where he was having very few if any accidents in the house at all. About a week before we moved, he started scratching at the door as an indicator that he needed to go out. I was ecstatic about this! Charlie has been difficult to train and it was a really great breakthrough!

Since we moved, his bad pee habits have reverted back to what they were when he was about 4 or 5 months old. He use to take naps on our couch and when he would have to go potty, he would just walk to the other side of the sofa and pee. We broke him of this as soon as we could. (being very aware of when he was waking up and taking him out RIGHT when he awoke) He doesnt do this to that extreme anymore, but in the middle of the night he will often pee somewhere in the house. I.e. some pants on the floor, the rug by the back door, my blanket, etc. It's not an every night occurance though, so I don't understand why he is able to hold is bladder some nights and not others.....

Another thing(s) he does is pee when he is scared. He has been chewing my underwear lately (in the middle of the nights) and when i find a pair and hold them up, i yell, "CHARLIE!" he puts his head down and runs to his kennel. But if I am right by him when i initially hold up the underwear he will pee. It's never a whole lot (unless its been a few hours since he has been out) but its enough to make me irritated.

Just yesterday, I had gotten home from the pet store and was putting a sweater I had bought for him on him (he has a very thin coat and its getting cold so I want to make sure he is warm. He shivers when we go outside to go potty sometimes. He just doesnt have enuogh fur!) Anyway, i was putting it on him and he just peed all over the couch! I think this was out of excitement, because mommy had just gotten home AND i was giving him something!

The day before, I was playing with him on the bed, Daddy came downstairs and he peed all over the side of me and on the bed sheet.

I thought we had gotten over this stage in his life but since the move he has sadly regressed. We currently are living with my mother-in-law, and she says that if Charlie doesn't straighten up we will have to get rid of him.

HELP! Getting rid of Charlie is the last thing I want to do! Please give me some more ideas on what to do with him! I am running out of ideas!!! So any would be helpful.

(Charlie is not neutered yet, so I know that will help, but until then, what can I do?)
Lexi-3/4 golden retriever + 1/4 black lab. Bday Dec 1st 2007.

Charlie-long haired chihuahua + dauchsand + papillion. Bday Feb 29th 2008.