Dog jumping on you and constantly scratching with his nails

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nanc1430

Dog jumping on you and constantly scratching with his nails

Post by nanc1430 »

I have a friend that has a small dog that is always jumping up on you and his nails are always long because the nail are black and they are afraid to cut them too short. How do you suggest keeping the dog from jumping up on everyone?
Thank you
nanc
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Hi Nanc,

The reason the dog (what breed?) is jumping up and scratching is because he wants your attention. Think about it: he's just a little guy waaaaay down there on the floor and we're tall and waaaaay up here. What better way to say "Hey I need you" than to jump on your leg and paw at it? It's kind of like a little kid tugging on mom's sleeve.

Teach him that doing this will get him just the opposite. Ignore the jumping, and reward him when he's calm. Maybe even when his butt is on the ground.

It's tougher to do with small dogs because they want your attention so badly, and they have to work extra hard to get it because of their size, but keep at it - persistence pays!

Also, if your friend is afraid to cut the dog's nails, please convince him to take it in to a groomer. Long nails can result in misaligned toes that get more and more painful as time goes on and the dog gets older. Not to mention scratched human legs :wink:
I admit, I used to be afraid to cut my Xavier's nails for the same reason. If you don't want to go to the groomer, get yourself a pair of scissor-style nail clippers (guillotine ones hurt!) and look for the little dot in the center of the nail. Cut no further than there, and your pup should be just fine.
Don't forget to file those rough edges down, or you'll be scratched some more ^-^
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Anotheroption on the nail trimming would be to use a dremel and grind the nails. There are special attachments you can get specifically for trimming nails.

As far as the jumping. Its important to not reward it. Even traditional pushing, talking, etc...can serve as reinforcemnent as the dog is trying to get attention.

If the dog jumps, turn away. look down and away and avoid eye contact. Make yourself very boring to the dog. Once the dog is behaving as you desire, then give a reward, praise, treat, both etc...

If you are sitting when he jumps stand up and turn away.
nanc1430

Thank you for your replies but need some other ideas

Post by nanc1430 »

I watch Victoria all the time and I do try to turn away and ignore her.
She keeps clawing at my legs no matter if I turn around or not.
Is there some other way I might be able to acomplish this?
I try to pick her up just so she isn't clawing at my legs and she doesn't want to be picked up as she is always getting down. I went to the house one time with a can of dog off spray just so I wouldn't be shredded. It did work but as soon as the spray dried and got faint, she was back again.
I know the owner doesn't get on her right away for doing this. She usually waits for me to say something or until there is blood.
How about if I try to put some socks on her and then ignore her when she jumps? Would that work? Or should I go to the door and wait until the dog quiets down and then go in?
Thank you
nanc
nanc1430

Forgot to mention

Post by nanc1430 »

The dog that shreds my legs is an American Eskimo (minature)
Thanks
nanc
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

First off , for management of your well being...wear pants when you visit your friend. Much less damage to be done!

Go armed with treats. You not only have to "not reward" the jumping (to decrease the behaviour) but need to reward the "not jumping" (to increase the behaviour). As soon as she sits or is calm she gets a reward. As much as I think it is rather rude of your friend not to be working on this issue for YOUR sake as well as all others that the dog jumps on...you CAN teach the dog not to jump on you. It's less confusing for the dog if she learns that no one should be jumped on, and maybe if you explain this to your friend she may come on board...if not, do your own work. They are YOUR legs and you have a right not to have the dog jump up on you.

In our local dogpark very very few dogs jump on ME. The regulars have learned that if they want my attention a sit is the way to get it. None of my dogwalking client's dogs jump on me. But it took work and consistency on my part. Dogs do what works. If sitting works with you then that is what they will do.

I really hope you can convince your friend to get on with it.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Cracker I will have to try that! I happen to own Michael Jordan's love child. Flanders doesn't jump on me so much any more, but when we get to the local dog park, she's just so excited she can't contain herself! You'd think she never went out at all! :roll: Most people take her jumping in stride, but I really do not want her up in everyone's face, and of course there is the possibility of someone getting hurt.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

LOL, if Flanders is a Malinut as you describe I'm sure she leaps like Mike!
Be aware that the treat thing can be a no no at the dogpark, you may have to find another reward for her..maybe tug? Or a good bum scritch? I recommend having her sit for every single greeting she makes when you are on walks to work up to the dog park thing...that's a HIGH distraction environment so good luck!
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
nanc1430

dog that jumps up on your leg

Post by nanc1430 »

Thank you for responding.
I will try that with the dog and have to deal with my friend.
Maybe I can give her treats if she will work with me?
Thanks again.
Nanc